2 people in a standard Laser

Flappy

Greetings folks,
I would like to take my adventurous girlfreind with me on my standard Laser but it seems as though it would be rather tricky. The thing is, I would prefer that she came back with the same number of teeth we set off with . I was thinking of making a tiller with an 18" extension to keep from performing some kind of incidental dentistry on her. I just don't see how my 48" ext. won't get in the way. Also any advice on moving around in the boat (sailing advice that is)? I am average size and she is rather petite.

The short extension is a good idea. I would have her work the mainsheet and sit either all the way forward in the cockpit or in front of the mainsheet on the CB.

i would see if you could somehow get your hands on a hobie cat to make for a more comfortable and roomy ride.

Flappy, I often take my girlfriend on my standard Laser for a ride and she still has a nice smile. You can choose two strategy: if you have enough wind keep her in the cockpit with you, in light wind I think is better to place her sitting on the deck in front of the mast where she can stay in the center of the boat without moving even when you tack. Is simpler to do than to say.
Have fun
Paolo

I did this yesterday if you can believe that, in about 25 knots too, I didn't really beleive it myself when I had 2 people on a laser with a radial sail up on plane,

I sail with two people all the time... the windward guy/girl controls the mainsheet, take turns at the tiller... it's not difficult at all, just make sure the wind isnt howling like mad the first coupla times you do it.

Simple....Get her a Laser and sail side by side.

While we are on the subject of buying stuff for girlfriends. . Any person who buys a diamond ring for a women who does not have a Laser is not really in love with that woman!!

And ...Most important!!

The choice:

Stupid baubble for my finger or a great boat for my significant other.

Any guy who hangs out with a woman who would rather have a diamond than have the money spent on sailing is just a super damn fool idiot!!!

Finally:

If you can afford both Diamonds and sailing, that does not mean you should waste money on a stupid baubble. Diamonds are for idiots!!!

gouvernail said:
If you can afford both Diamonds and sailing, that does not mean you should waste money on a stupid baubble. Diamonds are for idiots!!!

Jeez, you sound like you are foaming at the mouth. Where did this diamond vs. Laser thing come from anyway? Since we are already off topic, this woman who likes diamonds says you sound like an idiot! I feel for your poor diamondless wife. Not even one baubble? Now I know she really is a saint! Say I!

actually...On topic..

I have found that a 100 lb pasenger fits on my boat in medium and light wind best sitting aft and to leeward. I sit just a little in front of my normal spot.

When the wind blows harder the passenger sits just in front of my normal spot and I sit just aft. Usually the passenger is a small person who is having the ride of his or her life as I provide ballast and we have resulting power rides the smaller person has never previously enjoyed.

off topic>> About the baubles. Back when she was about to become a fiancee I was informed by her that I would be purchasing an opal ring to satisfy the "ring requirement" as she didn't want a "damn ring" but needed something to show her mother. I honestly don't remember how I spent a bunch more dough or what else she got instead of that diamond but it has been well over 30 years and I don't remember a lot of what went on in the last century. I can tell you that on our 25th I received a 32 foot 300 lb rated ladder...the rungs are "silver." I can't climb a diamond and her purchase of a safe ladder may keep me from using my old crappy ladder and ending the relationship prematurely.

gouvernail said:
off topic>> About the baubles. Back when she was about to become a fiancee I was informed by her that I would be purchasing an opal ring to satisfy the "ring requirement" as she didn't want a "damn ring" but needed something to show her mother. I honestly don't remember how I spent a bunch more dough or what else she got instead of that diamond but it has been well over 30 years and I don't remember a lot of what went on in the last century. I can tell you that on our 25th I received a 32 foot 300 lb rated ladder...the rungs are "silver." I can't climb a diamond and her purchase of a safe ladder may keep me from using my old crappy ladder and ending the relationship prematurely.

As long as she's onboard ;) , that is a heartwarming story, Gouv. Also to keep the relationship from ending prematurely, keep the ladder away from powerlines.

Both people sail fine in the cockpit. Simply do not use the mainsheet block regardless of who is actually manning the sheet. Makes for easy transferals with no entanglements and therefore pleasurable sailing. - my 2 cents

Flappy said:
Hiya Pez,,,So you each stay on one side and don't move from side to side?

If the wind is strong enough you can both be on the same side... if not, you can both be on different sides... When the wind is strong enough to be on the same side, I would say "I'm tacking, I'll stay, you move..." then execute the tack and the other person switches sides as you power the rig back up.

One person is a lot more fun... gouvernail's suggestion is the best... two lasers... If I had the means I would have bought a second boat long ago.

Back