All about to kick off....

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by Laser Tim, Feb 16, 2013.

1. torrid

torrid Just sailing

If I had my choice of a LP, PSA, PSJ, or a Torch-whatever, I know what I would buy.

2. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

From my understanding, PSJ slice is so small because the operation started by making the boats illegally. The other builders, Kirby and the ILCA decided to licence the operation rather than shutting it down. Obviously this all happened really early on in the laser history.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

That's interesting, Alan, I've never heard that before. That might even explain why Kirby excluded PSJ from the Torch plan - maybe he never thought of them as a "real" builder, after all.

4. AlanD

His exclusion is more likely because of his involvement with the ILCA, he's part of the technical committee, etc

In defence of Takao. He's one of the strongest supporters of the class out there. If the origins of the PSJ is as I understand, it would have been done to introduce the class to Japan because he thought the concept and the boat was so great and not like many today that want to make a quick buck.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  5. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

Hmm... I can't see how that makes a difference, as both other builders are represented in the World Council, while Takao only has a "consultant" role. I don't know if being on the Technical and Measurement Committee is a big deal.

http://laserinternational.org/info/worldcouncil

In any case, my understanding is also that he is just about the last guy on Earth who would exploit anyone or anything for personal gain.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AlanD

He has multiple roles, not just as a builder but also as a representative of the Asia Pacific Region and the Japanese Laser Association. The other 2 builders I assume are only ever representing themselves as builders (Chris is a Laser sailor and a member of the NSW LA but isn't involved with the district or regional committee).

7. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Maybe we need to create a Kickstarter campaign to help Takao buy the rights to the Laser design from Bruce.

8. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

I agree that if the Laser class was to have an owner-of-all-rights, TO would be a good choice.

But no one can buy any rights from Kirby because he doesn't have any. What he does have is a few contracts with a few other companies and organizations. Most of those others think of those contracts quite differently than he does, and therefore they've all been in court for two years. (Short story of this thread.)

• Like Like x 2
  9. ang

ang Member

Heard a rumor that us lasers will start coming from China. Thats not true is it?

10. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

Probably not, at least not yet. LP is moving its Sunfish production from Rhode Island to China, but it doesn't affect Lasers - they haven't been built at the RI plant for several years anyway. It all depends what LP is planning to to do with the Banbury plant.

11. tkjazzer

tkjazzer Member

What is the status on the lawsuit?

12. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

No decision as yet AFAIK

13. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Member

Theoretically speaking, if the ILCA could dump LP as the builder in North America and also acquire the Laser TM, what builder would be the most desirable to become the new authorized NA builder?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

Zim Sailing.

Small-Craft Hustlers

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

The judge has dismissed Bruce Kirby's claims against both Laser Performance and the Laser class on the grounds that Bruce Kirby has no standing to sue them, because he sold all his contractual and intellectual property rights to Global Sailing.

Let's hope this is the end of the matter.

16. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

Source?

17. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

I never reveal my sources. It's against the blogger's code.

But seriously, a friend sent me a copy of the summary judgement. And that document is being quoted in the thread about this topic on Dinghy Anarchy.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  18. torrid

torrid Just sailing

I believe the judge already dismissed claims against the ISAF and several of Rastegar's shell corporations. With LP and the ISAF out, is there anyone left to sue?

19. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

And the suit against ILCA has been dismissed too.

I don't think Kirby can sue anyone else. But what Global Sailing will do now is anybody's guess. They are still $1.6 million out of pocket with very little to show for it. And I suppose Kirby's lawyers could always appeal.

20. torrid

torrid Just sailing

• Informative Informative x 1