Any advice on building a PVC sail tube

Hi gang,
I want to construct a pvc storage tube for my rolled radial sail to mount on my trailer. I took measurements and figured a 6"x10' tube with screw-caps on the ends would be fine. I went to Home Depot, but they only carry 4" diameter or smaller. I thought I'd get a 9 1/2' piece of 2" or 3" pvc around which to roll the sail before I slid it in the storage tube. I'd drill a few ventilation holes in each cap for air circulation.
Would the 4" work or should I go larger so I don't roll the sail so tightly?
Am I right about the lengths?
Thanks for any advice you can give me.

odinsvitskjaldr said:
Hi gang,
I want to construct a pvc storage tube for my rolled radial sail to mount on my trailer. I took measurements and figured a 6"x10' tube with screw-caps on the ends would be fine. I went to Home Depot, but they only carry 4" diameter or smaller. I thought I'd get a 9 1/2' piece of 2" or 3" pvc around which to roll the sail before I slid it in the storage tube. I'd drill a few ventilation holes in each cap for air circulation.

If you go to a real plumbing supply house you should be able to find 6" pipe. Drill some tiny "weep holes" in the bottom of the pipe so that any small amounts of water that get in, can get out. Even with the ventilation and weep holes drilled, it can get mighty funky in there, so don't leave the sail in there for days on end

odinsvitskjaldr said:
Hi gang,

I recall getting something larger than 4" at Home Depot. 6" sounds right. Low density, flared worked OK, with lots of epoxy to keep the end caps on/make them fit. Used a screw-top on one end, and a slotted cap on the other.

u'd want to watch it leaving ur damp sail rolled up inside a plastic tube, even with weep holes

What luck! Yesterday, I told my partner in crime on my English Dept about what I found at Home Depot and she arranged for her husband, who owns a trucking company and is also a sailor, to order all the parts I need wholesale from his supplier. When I asked about price, she grinned and said, "Oh, Craig won't let you pay for it." I told her,"Well, then you guys are getting taken out for a really nice dinner."
I appreciate your feedback, and I will drill the appropriate weep holes, etc, and not store the sail long-term in the tube.

After messing around with a sail tube for several years, I went back to folding the sail. My reasoning was that unless, I had a perfect roll, the sail would get smooshed into the tube and wrinkle. From my perspective,folding is just more economical, faster, and saves space.

What I've done is take a 4" PVC tube, roll the sail around the tube, then stuff it in the 6" tube and you're all set.

Hello Jay,
I fold/flake mine... I use the same creases (so as not to create new one's) as from the factory when I flake it, then roll carefully up from the luff sleeve so it comes out as a cylinder. Slide it into the bag and stand it up. Seems to work well for me. I've heard when you flake/fold a sail your always supposed to use slightly different creases then the previous time, I kind of figure that this would give the finish on the sail another place to break. I may be off mark on that, but thats my opinion. I've thought about rolling and one of these days I'll give it a go.
Are you planning on racing at Seabrook this weekend, there should be a good radial turnout, prolly the best of the D-15 season. If so see you there!
Regards,
Fishingmickey,
150087/181157

Hi Mike,
I won't be racing but I will be on the race committee, either on the safety boat or as flag-man on the committee boat. I was out yesterday for SSC's Laser Clinic and we had off and on rain with southerly 15 mph winds.
See you this weekend in Seabrook.

Back