Best kind of cockpit trim?

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Dickhogg, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

While it's not the boat in question, my ex-racer's cockpit is surrounded by a hopeless number of spider cracks :( but the cockpit trim is in good shape. :confused: (The ex-racer is my #1 Sunfish—#2, ready to sail, is in excellent condition).

I'm a few weeks from viewing Sunfish #3 (with #4 & #5 standing by) which got the cockpit trim replaced. (Thanks to Alan Glos :) ). When I get there, you'll get a full report. :cool:

Does it stiffen the deck? I think, if you removed all the pop-rivets on the aluminum cockpit trim—and sat on the "unstiffened" deck—I'll bet the trim will pop right off.

Riveting (but especially gluing) permits the trim to become a structural part of the deck. It especially helps against strain at the fiberglass margins. IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

1) You may find that stretching the old aluminum trim a little might make it bend easier. (That works with silver wire, anyway).

2) Having just made my best case for using aluminum trim, I just stumbled on some inexpensive vinyl "protection"—in three colors. Even if the supplied adhesive doesn't work out, the vinyl can be saved for a better adhesive later. Between .6 to .8 cm in thickness, each kit offered is less than US$10:

Car Styling Door Protection Strips Rubber Edge Doors Moldings Side Protector Sticker Scratches Vehicle For Cars Auto Car styling-in Styling Mouldings from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group