Best Mainsheet

ChalmersP

Hello again everyone! For the past month, whenever I go out and practice, my mainsheet messes things up when I head downwind. Its been blowing less than 5 when this happens. So now im on the look for a new mainsheet! APS has a selection that includes Excel Fusion and Rooster, along with a few others. The Excel is expensive, but seems like a pretty good and light choice. Does anyone have experience using the 5.5mm Rooster? Thats the cheaper choice for sure! But im worried about getting it and having the same problem as my current sheet... By the way, my current line is the 7mm dinghy sheet. Great for wind, but no wind sucks!
Thanks guys!

i would definitely get the excel fusion. 5.5 mm is a tad bit too small for a mainsheet and 7 mm will be much easier to hold and trim especialy if you are using gloves. Spend the extra money and get the fusion.

No, get the 7mm, especially because the excel is so light it will be about the same as the 5 mm because of the different material, also the excel wont stretch which is good for mainsheets.

I use the fse robline dinghy sheet 7mm, it has good grip and feel and its less than 1/2 the price of excel fusion, you can go less than 7mm but you'll sacrifice grip, a 5mm is fine for light air

I use the dinghy sheet now. and its great when theres wind. But no wind = horrible! On the runs it always drags in the water no matter how much you heel, or how far the boom is out! And its pretty prone to getting tangled and twisted! Or maybe its just the way I move around the boat! :D

I use the dinghy sheet now. and its great when theres wind. But no wind = horrible! On the runs it always drags in the water no matter how much you heel, or how far the boom is out! And its pretty prone to getting tangled and twisted! Or maybe its just the way I move around the boat! :D

try letting the boom out a little past 90, the weight of the boom will keep the sheet out of the water, you can also put a 8 knot in the traveler block rather than the boom block eliminating the extra purchase and line,

I use gravity to keep my boom out by letting it out past 90, and I like the figure 8 knot idea, but wont the upwind be difficult especially if it picks up at all?

I use gravity to keep my boom out by letting it out past 90, and I like the figure 8 knot idea, but wont the upwind be difficult especially if it picks up at all?

if it picks up you need to change it back to normal in between races, if you use the regular purchase you have to be careful that you're not dragging the mainsheet, if it touches the water it will pull the boom aft and mess you up, be careful how you use your weight as well

Back