Bottleport reviewed by Tillerman

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by hdco1313, Oct 20, 2008.

1. hdco1313

hdco1313 New Member

For those thinking "will he stop posting about the Bottleport already," I'm sorry for the deluge. But I was really happy to read Tillerman's review on his Proper Course blog because I am a real fan. The Facebook group "Seven Reasons to Hate a Laser Sailor" was inspired by one of Tillerman's posts. Here's his Bottleport review:

http://propercourse.blogspot.com/2008/10/bottleport.html

It's worth checking out the rest of his blog if you haven't already. Great stuff there...

Thanks for reading,

Greg Little

www.bottleport.com

2. pez

pez Member

Um... did you do any sort of testing with 12 oz aluminum cans?

3. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

The bungee at the top ought to keep any sort of beverage in place!

4. ONeillt90

ONeillt90 New Member

Beer Bottles?.....Cigarette keg?

5. vtgent49

vtgent49 Member

I was thinking 2 12 oz cans might fit? Or a single 24 oz?

6. Merrily

I'll get back to you after I've tested that. :)

7. hdco1313

hdco1313 New Member

Thanks Merrily, look forward to your findings as I've mostly used it with the bicycle water bottles or one that I've bought at 7-11 etc.

Sigh. Duty probably dictates that I also should get out there and do some thorough can testing. I wonder how many crushed empties you could fit underneath a 16oz Silver Bullet? :D I like the 24oz stack idea too. And what is a cigarette keg? Really the possibilities are endless!

Cheers,

Greg Little
    greg@bottleport.com

8. pez

pez Member

Good work on this greg, come sailing season again I will pick one up... For those of us that might have a boat that is sometimes on the wet side, a rigid, watertight cylinder with a lid would be a better solution for general gear stowage (cel phone, wallet, etc) than the fat bags...

9. Merrily

The Bottleport doesn't have a lid, just an adjustable bungee at the top, but there's an idea for you, Greg.

10. pez

pez Member

Exactly what I meant :)

11. Merrily

Say, I've never capsized with the Bottleport in place. It must get some water in it. How bad is it?

12. pez

pez Member

So you're saying you've never went sailing with the bottleport? :D

Just getting back at you for the nice guy comment, LOL...

13. hdco1313

hdco1313 New Member

Re the question of how much extra water the Bottleport will carry, I actually ran some tests on that in response to the same question from Tillerman, and here is more information than you ever wanted to know:

"With the bottle inserted and the bungie holding it in and the Bottleport filled to the top with water from the faucet, it holds exactly 16oz of extra water. Practically speaking, when using it on a boat these controlled conditions wouldn't apply and water would slosh out the top with the motion of the boat. In a completely non-scientific way, but as accurately as I could, I tried to duplicate "medium-slosh" conditions by shaking the full Bottleport from side to side while still keeping it on a vertical axis. The water left inside weighed 13oz.

I designed the Bottleport with the water channels on each side so that water stuck in the bottom would be partially displaced and ejected by putting the container back in. When I did this just now, an additional 6oz was ejected, leaving 7oz in the Bottleport. When sailing, of course, each time you remove and replace the water bottle you will get back down to this approx. 7oz extra weight.

To complete the stats, filling the Bottleport completely full to the brim with water WITHOUT a water bottle inserted results in extra weight of 2lbs, 9oz. or just under 1/3 of a gallon.

Based on the above, I would say that if weight is a primary consideration then the side mount option [ie., in the cockpit wall] might be best. For me, 13oz would be an acceptable penalty if there was a place that I really wanted to mount it that was vertical [ie., daggerboard trunk]."

14. knot_moving

knot_moving Member

If you are mounting this in the sidewall, then I would be sure to use bolts with fenderwashers on the inside to attach the inspection port. You would be surprised how much torque/force a cantilevered water bottle will place on the fittings holding the inspection port in place, as the boat is bouncing across the waves. I expect that in a year of sailing you would push out the bottom fittings if they were just screws.

15. hdco1313

hdco1313 New Member

Mine's mounted with screws & 5200 and seems rock solid, but I'll keep an eye on it. It certainly can't hurt to use bolts and it would be easy to do since, of course, you have access from the hole you just cut in that spot. I wonder if instead of washers you could use a second port ring on the inside, upside down so that top is against the inside of the hull. That way, it's backed all the way around.

16. Merrily

It's bigger than the hole, isn't it? How would you get it in there unless you did major surgery?

17. hdco1313

hdco1313 New Member

Somehow in visualizing what would otherwise be a good idea, I skipped the step of getting the ring inside the hull! Yes, short of cutting it (the ring, not the hull) in half, that is going to be...difficult.

18. Merrily

Cutting the ring in half might not be so bad. It would give a backing.

19. hitime

hitime New Member

You would only need to cut one side. That should be enought to get the backing plate inside the hull.

20. hdco1313

hdco1313 New Member

Yup, that sounds like the way to do it. I'm going to add this as suggestion to try in the "Port Installation Tips" section of the website. When it goes up in final form, that is. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

• Disagree Disagree x 1