Broken carbon tiller extension

Alysum

G'day,

I stupidly broke my carbon tiller extension in two about 2/3 length from the end transporting it on my bicycle...be warned they are very easy to break !

So I'm looking for tips on how to mend it temporaly ?
Any advice welcome...

I'm also disappointed I cannot order a new one from the US because 48" is apparently much too long to ship overseas for USPS/UPS :(

Re: Broken cartbon tiller extension

The fact that the extention is carbon makes repair difficult and time consuming if not impossible for the average person. Do yourself a favor, buy a new one and this time for heaven's sake don't take it biking with you. ;)

indeed I wont be travelling with carbon ever again...

well if you read my initial post I cannot order one anywhere now; they don't have them here in Australia as far as I know so I'm looking for a way to sail this weekend !

I broke a 4" piece off the bottom of the centerboard and made a very acceptable repair with "J.B.Weld". I'm not sure what actual material the centerboard is made from. Are stock centerboards made of carbon?

The ACME repair sleeve saves a lot of time and works very well.

It's not that hard to repair with a few wraps of fiberglass and epoxy either.. You can substitute kevlar or carbon cloth for the fiberglass, but it's not really needed from a strength point of view (You are simply trying to join two pieces back together in a structure that is not the highly loaded)

I broke a 4" piece off the bottom of the centerboard and made a very acceptable repair with "J.B.Weld". I'm not sure what actual material the centerboard is made from. Are stock centerboards made of carbon?

No, the centerboard and rudder are not made of carbon..

Foam inside with steel stiffening rods embedded, and some sort of plastic/resin shell on the outside.

You can proabbly make an adequate fix with a piece of tube and some epoxy putty. it will weigh a bit more but unless you can get a hold of teh ACME repair kit, anything else will be heavier.

I would probably cut a 100 mm chunk off a wod dowell and shave it down until it just fits inside the broken extension. Then I would drill out the center of the dowell to make it lighter. Then I would epoxy the dowell in place and try sailing with it.

...centerboard...some sort of plastic/resin shell on the outside.

For all boats since about number 80,000 the "shell" is enamel.

That's right. A coat of paint.

The Laser Builders are trying to introduce a new and different blade so they can make whatever profit that has, for the last 30 odd years, been going to the molders of the blades.
Certainly, the new builder created blades will be different anf better than the blades we have all used for thirty years but, the builders will make money selling us the upgrade.

So, they have families to feed and pensions to gather and we shall soon all buy new blades and be helping them with both tasks.

See the thread in the political section about the new blocks we shall all be soon forced to pourchase...or sail slowly compared to those who spend.

You can proabbly make an adequate fix with a piece of tube and some epoxy putty. it will weigh a bit more but unless you can get a hold of teh ACME repair kit, anything else will be heavier.

I would probably cut a 100 mm chunk off a wod dowell and shave it down until it just fits inside the broken extension. Then I would drill out the center of the dowell to make it lighter. Then I would epoxy the dowell in place and try sailing with it.
thanks I think I'll do that so I can sail over the next 2 weekends till my new one comes. Finally found a place that could ship it (after all it's bloody light !)

Back