Buying first sunfish...Pearson?

krcb1990

Hey all,

Checked out a sunfish for the first time the other day, and as soon as I saw the Pearson I remembered the Windline advice. However, the price was only $500 and the boat seemed to be in good shape (no cracks at mast step or daggerboard slot) and stored indoors the past several years. the Hull had a couple repairs done but otherwise no cracks/dings. I pressed into the hull and it didn't really seem squishy but towards the bow it seemed to give a little bit, almost like there was a gap between the hull and whatever it's connected to inside. Some spider cracks here and there but nothing else too noticeable. I didn't get to weigh it but it was easy to pick up with 2 people. So, I'm not planning on racing or anything, just cruising around long island sound. Another thing, it's about an hour and a half from my house and I would have to car top it which I was also a bit apprehensive about.

Any advice or thoughts on the boat are appreciated. Since I'm new to this, maybe I should keep waiting for a non-Pearson, but the price just seemed very good for this boat.

Thanks in advance!

Hey all,

Checked out a sunfish for the first time the other day, and as soon as I saw the Pearson I remembered the Windline advice. However, the price was only $500 and the boat seemed to be in good shape (no cracks at mast step or daggerboard slot) and stored indoors the past several years. the Hull had a couple repairs done but otherwise no cracks/dings. I pressed into the hull and it didn't really seem squishy but towards the bow it seemed to give a little bit, almost like there was a gap between the hull and whatever it's connected to inside. Some spider cracks here and there but nothing else too noticeable. I didn't get to weigh it but it was easy to pick up with 2 people. So, I'm not planning on racing or anything, just cruising around long island sound. Another thing, it's about an hour and a half from my house and I would have to car top it which I was also a bit apprehensive about.

Any advice or thoughts on the boat are appreciated. Since I'm new to this, maybe I should keep waiting for a non-Pearson, but the price just seemed very good for this boat.

Thanks in advance!
As I thought about your situation a few thoughts came to me. Sunfish prices usually drop in late fall-early spring, if price is a factor for you this is something you may be interested in. It could cause you to wait for the next season though. Another thing is sunfish have a strong buyer base and are very well known boats. Parts are accessible, but most of them can be interchangeable with what we call clonefish, or boats made to clone the sunfish. I wish you the best of luck in your search and hope this information is helpful to you.

For cruising around though, I am sure it would be a great boat. I think you will enjoy either option you purchase.

Thanks for the response! I would like to get out on the water as soon as I can, and surprisingly, there aren't that many sunfish(es?) for sale near me.

Some, but not all, Pearson boats were not up to snuff. Hence, you do need to do a careful inspection, but that's true of almost any second-hand Sunfish on the market

I'd be very careful. Decks fell off, trunks came detached, etc. At that price though, if it falls apart, you probably could part it out for close to what you paid for it. Rudder and tiller assemblies go for $200 or more, especially with aluminum rudder cheeks. Sell the sail for $100, board for $75, bailer for $30 or $40, etc. and you will getyour money back and be able to buy another Sunfish!!

I raced a Pearson boat for 9 years and it was light, stiff and fast but it did develop cracks in the side decks that I had to repair and then the deck separated from the mast hole, another repair. The boat is not being raced anymore but still going strong as a day sailor.

Tell the owner you are aware of the Pearson reputation and offer $400. I bet he/she takes it. If you are wary of car-topping the boat, borrow a friend's trailer or pick-up truck.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I have the same problem in my area. I have a sunfish, but would like amother.
'Really glad I have two Sunfish next to each other.

Reading elsewhere, I could rig it with a MiniFish sail, and venture out on windy days I'd normally stay on shore. :)

thank you everyone for your input! I decided not to get the Pearson because I found an AMF model in good enough shape. Now I just have to hope it floats when I take it out this weekend.

Back