Comparisons between a Capri 14.2 and a Precision 15

Rich B

I have recently moved to an area where the homeowners association owns a relatively small lake. There is also a slightly larger lake nearby as well as a large reservoir. I sailed a Laser when I was in college and also crewed on an M16. I am retired now and would like to get a daysailer I could sail single handed or take one, possibly 2 passengers. I very much like the Capri 14.2 and would like to get a mod 3. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a suitable used one to buy. How would a Precision 15 compare with the Capri? I have a boat slip at the association's marina, so I would be able to leave the mast up with an appropriate cover that would work that way. I would like to get input and opinions on boats to consider.TIA!

Never mind. Since more than 100 people looked at my post and I received no responses, I went ahead and bought a boat after doing my own research.

I don't know anything about a Percision 15, so I didn't chime in earlier, but I'd like to hear what you ended up with? I'm also happy to tell you about my 14.2 mod1 and what I've learned through trial, and plenty of error...
Fred

I decided to get the Precision 15. In comparing it to the Capri 14.2, the P-15 is 10 inches longer, 10 in. wider and weighs 50 lb more than the Capri. It also has 20 ft^2 more sail area and has the jib adjustment track at more of an angle to allow better tuning. There are also four Harken blocks for the mainsheet which should make adjusting the mainsail easier. The seller had previously owned a Capri 14.2 and told me his wife had said that it felt very "tippy" and he also said that the hull shape is very different having a flatter bottom compared to the Capri. I just got my boat home so am in the process of learning how to put up the standing rigging and get her ready for the water.

P-15.jpg

Handsome boat. To my eye, the hull shape looks very similar to the 14.2, which I would describe as very flat, at least my Mod1 is. I think the main issue of them being
"tippy" is one of boat size / sail area & mast height, JMO. That is also the feature that makes it really go, even in a light wind though. Everything is a trade-off. I'm past 50, in C- shape, and not very interested in sitting on the side and leaning out. All things being equal, I'd been plenty pleased with a few extra sf of sitting room and a little less zippiness, but once I began to get a better feel for mine (plenty more learning to go) I've been happy as a clam, out of water & in a boat.... they're happy, right? Maybe I've been happier than that particular clam. What does the trailer winch in your setup hook too?

There is an eye bolt on the bow to crank the boat up on the trailer. Being on the high side of 60 myself, my heart wanted to get another Laser, but my mind told my body it needs a little more comfort yet still have the sensation of moving across the water with an exhilarating sensation of speed. I still have some details to get the boat ready for the water, but the preperation of setting up a fractional sloop (which I have never sailed) is great fun! The trolling motor has been purchased as well as a baby bob that I will need to make adapter mounting for the masthead (I had the bad experience of turtling a borrowed racing MC scow that I would not like to experience again). I'm still unsure whether to install hiking straps or not. Looking forward to getting back on the water and relearning the basic trimming to become another happier than a clam sailer.

So on my Mod 1 I must crank up on the trailer by fastening to the eye on the top of the deck plate, looks similar to what you have. My crank assembly is as high up on the post as it can go, but not high enough for a good angle. Would have preferred the setup you have but I'll work with what I got. Now I'm very careful to stop cranking when the winch angle starts pulling down on the plate, just at the point where boat makes contact with the roller. At that point the boat is about 6" from the rubber pad that it snugs into. Then I pull boat out, lift and bounce to pull it up on the roller to final sung, being careful not to put too much downward stress on the plate. An advantage to my boat is the relatively light weight that makes it manageable to adjust it's placement on the trailer. As far as making an adapter for the Bob, I can give you contact info for the guy who fabricated mine, did great work for a very reasonable cost.

Back