Damage caused by blocks

JackB

The gel coat on the starboard side below the traveller, right next to the fairlead, has been worn down to the fibreglass. I think it was the block that did this.
As I have only owned a laser for about a month, I cannot work out why this has happened, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will get a picture of it next time I go down to my club.

Thanks in advance.

Not clear whether this happened to a brand new Laser or an old one that you 'inherited'.

Ah, I bought it second hand. I think it is 11 years old, but in near pristine condition. This worn-patch certainly wasn't there when I bought it.

While this type of damage will occur over a period of time of sailing, if it occurs quickly then it may have occurred when the boat was in transit.

Just checked my 2002 hull. No damage, or wear, whatsoever in that area.

Is something amiss with the lower traveler block?

I guess it must be the traveller block then, as I bought it from a guy at my club, so it hasn't been in transit.

I will try and get a photo today, so you know what I am on about.

Thanks.

Got a picture:

IMG_2034.jpg

Caused by a very tight and low-stretch traveler. Not a bad thing when the breeze is up, just a little cosmetically unpleasing.. The wear can be exaggerated if you leave the traveler really tight in light air

Makes sense. But why is the wear only on the starboard side :confused:

As an aside, if I use a very tight traveler, the lower traveler block will get stuck on the tiller when tacking. Wasn't that a problem for you? And yes, I have a low-tech (tubular) tiller.

The block only got stuck when tacking slowly, in which case I just gave an extra tug on the mainsheet

Back