Class Politics Dealers get laser sails for $315

yes folks, thats right, $315!!!!

what do folks think about the mark-up we're paying?

discuss...

Pretty much the standard retail mark up. Actually, probably less than standard.

The problem isn't the mark up - the problem is the number of hands the product passes through from sailmaker to customer, each of which takes their cut. Quite right too - it's the principle the western economy is built on. The replica sail market passes through fewer hands, hence the lower price.

The obvious solution is to remove some of the levels in the suppy chain of official gear, but who do you remove? You could start with the dealers, but what would happen to the class if being a dealer was no longer financially viable? You could remove the builders, but they own the process and the rights to the boat - how would you convince them that it was in their interest to forego a steady income stream? These are the questions that need to be asked.

It's interesting that the builder here in Australia now sell gear directly over the internet, but of course still at full retail price - they are effectively competing with their own dealer network. I imagine the same is happening overseas. The first step away from the local dealer model perhaps?

Pretty much the standard retail mark up. Actually, probably less than standard.

The problem isn't the mark up - the problem is the number of hands the product passes through from sailmaker to customer, each of which takes their cut. Quite right too - it's the principle the western economy is built on. The replica sail market passes through fewer hands, hence the lower price.

The obvious solution is to remove some of the levels in the suppy chain of official gear, but who do you remove? You could start with the dealers, but what would happen to the class if being a dealer was no longer financially viable? You could remove the builders, but they own the process and the rights to the boat - how would you convince them that it was in their interest to forego a steady income stream? These are the questions that need to be asked.

It's interesting that the builder here in Australia now sell gear directly over the internet, but of course still at full retail price - they are effectively competing with their own dealer network. I imagine the same is happening overseas. The first step away from the local dealer model perhaps?

There was mention in a few posts about how LP in the UK will drop the prices down from the price we pay to sell in bulk.

Where did you get that number from and are you sure that's right?

i was at a major regatta this past weekend and a very honest laser dealer told me this. he will remain anonymous to protect the innocent.

and i certainly dont fault the dealers for getting what they can for the sail. they have the right to make a living and hats off to them for doing it in the sailing industry.

the point is that intensity can make a profit selling the same piece of crap for $200...

There was mention in a few posts about how LP in the UK will drop the prices down from the price we pay to sell in bulk.

Correct, it has been available for years but never formally advertised. i wouldn't mind betting that the same or similar levels of discount would be made available if you approached them.

In the UK we have the Activate your Laser initiative which is being pushed hard by the builder, the RYA and the class aimed at getting more boats on the water. Perhaps other regions should try to do something similar.

The other difference is that the UK does not really have a local dealer network, we have Laser Performance and that is it. Other chandlers do sell Laser parts but the bulk probably come direct.

i was at a major regatta this past weekend and a very honest laser dealer told me this. he will remain anonymous to protect the innocent.

and i certainly dont fault the dealers for getting what they can for the sail. they have the right to make a living and hats off to them for doing it in the sailing industry.

the point is that intensity can make a profit selling the same piece of crap for $200...

Not sure what the figures would be, but the dealer likely pays some sort of fee to the Lasergods for the right to sell class legal gear... If not, then you can pay the Fed & State fees to get a TIN and open your own personal laser dealership. It will pay for itself after you buy a sail or two.

Back