Foul Weather Gear

SpinyNorman

I'm going to the London boat show in about a week, and I want to buy some foul weather gear - I'm not going to go winter-sailing in my shortie after last time! I was wondering if anyone could help me by telling me what sort of thing to buy - I haven't got the money to invest in a drysuit - and what brands are good or bad, or what sort of price it would be. Happy New Year,
SpinyNorman

If you are interested in getting foul weather gear for frostbiting, there is a thread called cold-water sailing (or something along those lines) where people have posted their ideas.

For cold weather sailing I personally use a variety of gear that can be used for both warm and cold weather sailing.

I start off with a full skiff suit (wetsuit) made by Ronstan. It is specially designed for sailing and allows lots of movement. They are now on sale at Annapolis Performance Sailing for $150 USD.

Under it I wear a full sleeve rashguard and on top of the wetsuit I wear a spray top. Sometimes something fleecey, like a half zip shirt or light jacket under the spray top and on top of the wetsuit to act as a middle layer gives nice warmpth.

For the bottom section I wear (this was a christmas gift) Gill dinghy trousers. They are the brother to the spray top. I find these work really well because they spare your legs from the cold water, even if you are wearing a wetsuit, and prevent them from tightening up too much and cramping.

For the feet I where neoprene socks and my Gill neoprene boots.

A hat and some Gill three season sailing gloves pretty much finish me off.

Back