How do I set up the boat I just bought

Sea-s-ta

I just bought a 1988 capri 14.2 I sailed it today on Lake Norman N.C.
I could not figure out how to set up the sheet that controls the boom. There is a line fastened to the end of the boom. I ran it through the block in the middle of the boom then down to a block right below it in the foot well then through the jam cleet? That worked but it sure donsn't look right . Is a topping lift to be used with this boat? Also what hold sthe keel down? The line atttached to the keel goes through three pulleys then a jam cleeet This looks like it would hold the keep but what keeps it down? There was in the boat a spring about a foot lone with a L shaped fitting on one end and something that looks like it belongs in a track somewhere on the othrWhat is this thing? Also there is a boom vang but I can't see where it is sopposed to be attached to the boom or the mast.The jib halyard had a pully right in the middle of it Why? Even with my jurry rigging the boat performed well in about 5mph wind. Except when some clown showing off in a stink pot would pass 20 yards in fromt and cause a wake that would stop my forward progress cold. Any help would be appreciated thanx Bob

One stab

Bob
I'll take a stab. Your boom/main sheet set up is close to correct. There should be a block on the end of the boom. The main sheet should go through that block and either tie to the traveler that extends from side to side at the stern or there is a block on the traveler that can (purchase) more mechanical advantage if you choose to go back up to the boom and tie there. I usually tie off on the traveler and use more muscle.

A topping lift is not standerd.

The center board should have a piece of bungy cord attached with a hook on the end of it. Stretch the bungie and attach the hook to the eye near the floor at the stern. Unhook the bungie when parked to preserve it's strength. The bungie holds the centerboard down.

I don't have a clue about the spring or the pulley on the jib halyard.

There should be attachment points on the mast and the boom for the boom vang. It attaches to the mast near it's bottom and to the boom about two feet from the mast.

Art

Art: Thanks for your reply. I found the attachment point as you suggested for the boom vang on the mast and boom solving that problem. I also found the bunge cord for the rudder hold down Thanks, But the setup for the main sheet remains a mystery. The 1 1/2 diameter block the is in the middle of the boom dosen't belong there. That is the attachment point for the boom vang That block probably belongs on the end of the mast for the main sheet. I do not have a traveler on the stern although there are two holes on the coming that might be used for that purpose, but I do have a pedistal in the center of the cockpit which has a swivaling block and jam cleat attached to it. It seems to me that the main sheet needs to be attached here someway. Any thoughts about this.
Bob

Bob
I would recommend that you order a C-14 manual from Ed Jones. It has a lot of good informaton.

The site below about Jiffy Reefing has pictures that show the Main Sheet as it should look. There are two blocks for the main sheet on the boom. The aft one goes to the traveler. The middle one goes to the block and cam cleat on the barney post.
I have my traveler setup per the manual so that the main sheet attachment doesen't travel. The block on the travler is restrained to the center with knots on both sides. The peak of the traveler is very high so that the main can be pulled in very close to mid ship. I finally got to sail in light steady air a few weeks ago. It was great. I found that the main would continue to pull for a few degrees after the jib had quit.

http://www.angelfire.com/de2/WIT/JiffyReef.htm

The site below has some good information about the C-14
http://www.quantumsails.com/products/onedesign/c_tuningguides.asp?CID=27#SAIL%20ADJUSTMENT%20GUIDELINE

Happy sailing

Art

The aft end of the boom should have a block that has one end of the main sheet permanently attached. Follow the following steps by thinking about routing the free end of the main sheet (like the head of a snake). The free end of the sheet should run down to a traveller double block (one block runs along a traveller line that is attached through the holes at the corners at the aft ends of the gunnels). The main sheet passes through the other block of the double. Then back up through the block at the aft of the boom. Then through the block at the middle of the boom. Down through the block on the barney post (pedestal) and finally through the cleat.

This arrangement gives you leverage to trim the main.

Vang- There should be a "U" bracket on the bottom of the boom and about 2 feet back from the mast. Maybe yours has been removed (look for 2 holes that would have been used to mount it). The other end of the vang attaches to the mast about 2 feet down from where the boom attaches. Mine has a bracket with a hole that I use a shackle to attach.

Topping lift- I have what is called a boom kicker (do a web search) that holds the boom up when the sail is doused. This holds the boom up with flexible fiberglass rods that are attached approximitely where the vang is attached to the mast and has a sling that the boom rests in.

Hope this helps.

Bob, can you give the measuremnt of the traveller as you have it adjusted?

sea-s-ta, There should be a block about the middle of the boom. this should lead down to your barney post in the middle of the cockpit. The vang attachment point should be farther up toward the mast about 21" back from the gooseneck where the boom attaches to the mast. How is the sailing on Lake Norman. I used to go there with my grandfather to fish about 30 years ago. I live about 2 hours from lake Norman and would like to try it, but I have no idea where to put in.

Block in the middle of your jib halyard

Sea s ta,

The block in the middle of your jib halyard is used to adjust jib tension while sailing without having to uncleat and re-tie.

Take your jib halyard and pull down on it until the jib sail is just touching the deck and then tie it to the cleat on the left side of the mast. Now take the left over line and go back up through the block and then back down to the jam cleat that is just above the cleat on the left side.

Now you can either pull down a bit more to add tension or let if off completely for going downwind.

Back