Ideal wind

mielikki

Hey there!I began laser sailing about three weeks ago and since then I've only been able to come across winds that change between 4.5-6 knots.I'm pretty ignorant about the training conditions and my coach told me that I've started training under pretty harsh conditions,so I was wondering about the ideal circumstances for training.Could anyone help me out?

It really all depends on what type of conditions your are training for, i guess for just all around training 12- 15 mph would be the best.

My self would train in about 8-12 knots. however id rather be sailing in 20-30 knots much more fun:). for all around experiance though i would train in all wind conditions to get the feel for how the boat will react.

well mielikki, in my opinion I guess it would be determined by whether you're completely new to sailing or if you have just started seriously 'training'.

In the first case you'd want something around 10knots so you can get aquainted with the boat before capsizing it.

In the second case you'd want around 15knots for a while to get comfortable in the boat and really get to grips with the basics of laser sailing. This could take a while, depending on your strengths.

Or you could just get comfy and go out in anything. I can confess to using this method and it works. 'Training' requires a desire to learn and improve. It is an attitude. You can do that in almost any wind condition.

Hey there!I began laser sailing about three weeks ago and since then I've only been able to come across winds that change between 4.5-6 knots.I'm pretty ignorant about the training conditions and my coach told me that I've started training under pretty harsh conditions,so I was wondering about the ideal circumstances for training.Could anyone help me out?

I think your weight should also be taken into account. If you are light for the boat, you should train in lighter conditions. Also, I sail on an inland lake with a lot of shifting swirling winds. If either of these conditions are present, 4.5 to 6 knots, which is about 8 to 10 mph, would seem like a lot. Last year when I weighed 160 or about 70 kg, 8 -10 mph was my favorite speed while on a Standard rig. So I think that you would do well to sail in lower winds speeds at first. I've been sailing for 2 and a half years, which also brings up another question. Do you have experience sailing other classes of boats? I do not.

Interesting that all the responses have related to wind speed. I like a nice warm wind - so you can sail in T-shirt and shorts.

Ian

if you want my two cents... you should train in the conditions you suck at.

When I first started laser sailing, about 14 years ago, a really good sailor walked past and asked why i wasn't racing. I told him that it was too windy for me. His response was something along the lines of "you won't get any better or learn anything sitting on the shore" That afternoon, I rigged, went out, swam a lot but also learned a few things.

Now, I sail when it's breezy because I like it, not because I have to. I train when it's light because I hate it.... I hate it because I suck at it. (and it's boring and uncomfortable)

To train, i.e. get better, you have to extend beyond your comfort zone. If you can nail boat handling in 10 knots of wind... learn something else. If it's wind you're not used to... great... get out there and learn about the boat as what you discover in 3 knots of wind isn't too much help in 23 knots of wind...

Tomsinamerica, makes a good point dont doupt ur self u need to train in all wind conditions. epecially the heavier air 20knots + because you wont learn anything on land. if your spending alot of time in the water learn how to dry roll for peet sake, or reef in the sail before u go out.

1...know what wind types your good in and which you suck in.

2...start practicing more in the wind types you suck in.

3...keep praticing in the wind types your good in.

Back