Just Curious........

Esteroali

How many of you sailors out there...
learned to sail as an adult?? I get the impression most of you out there are male and have been sailing for years. I feel like I will be collecting Social Security before I am good enough to do a race....If my body can hold up. The wind tonight was perfect and I had a perfect sail...we are lucky to go year round;) ;)

I learned to sail when I started graduate school at age 23. I was lucky and the first 6 years of sailing were with the Univ. of Wisconson Hoofers Sailing Club on a student schedule, so I was able to get quite a bit of quality time on boats from 12 foot Tech Dinghies to 33 foot keelboats. Even with that, I'm still jealous of people who grew up sailing and built up all the muscle memory as kids that I'm only beginning to learn.

Cheers,

Geoff Sobering

Hello Esteroali,
I started sailing with my father when I was about 8 or 9, we raced for about 5 or 6 years, I started crewing for him in races (11' Penguin dingy's). I was the smallest and lightest of the brothers (not any more). I just started sailing again this July and had my first regatta in 30 years or so in September. I had a ball.... my only goal was not to finish last. I made my goal!!! 5th out of 6. I can't wait till the next one in October. The best thing I think is to go ahead and get your feet wet and have a go in a local club regatta. Good luck and full sails to you!
Fishing Mickey

I first sailed at age seven at a summer camp on an Albacore. I took my White Sail I(First in a series of levels in Canada), and when the written test came around, I failed miserably because I was not very good a reading english having gone to a french immersion school. The next 3 or 4 summers I did not sail at camp again, because my first experience put me off so much. I then decided one summer to take my White Sail one again. I passed and aced the test. Ok I thought, White Sail I was pretty nifty and in White Sail II I got to skipper, so I'll try that out. The next summer I took my White Sail II and had a blast, and passed. The next summer after that I took my III and got to sail 420's, and then my Bronze IV.

Here is where I came to a problem in my sailing life. If I had returned to camp this summer, I would not be able to sail as I had in the past because I would be CIT. I love camp, so giving up was hard. But I did it anyways. I joined a Yacht Club called Ashbridges Bay and took my Bronze V. We sailed L2's and 420's. Last year I also bought a Laser, which I will use next summer when I take my Silver VI at my club.

Seth

I started really early, My dad started me at age 5 with him in our old beat up family sunfish, and I got my first Laser when I was 13, it was an old beat up 70's boat, but I loved it to death. Now, 8 years later I still love Lasers as much as the first day I rigged it up and put it in the water, the thrill never stops.

I started sailing in my 30's and built up enough courage to try racing in my second season. Once you give it a go you won't look back, it's a great way of improving your sailing skill. I race weekly all year round, my results aren't great, but I enjoy it. Recomend you give it a go.

Back