laser newbie - cartop possible?

koop

Hi
A good friend has offered his laser - but I have to go pick it up. It's a 4 hours drive to get it. I hear the laser (one) is light enough to through on a standard rack on the roof - but is that OK for the boat?
Thanks in advance for any advice about transporting it and tie-down suggestions.

Yes. It's perfectly normal to cartop a Laser.

Oops. That was a one-line answer and this forum now frowns on one-liners. So I'll write some more.

Yes you can cartop a Laser. A lot of people cartop Lasers. It doesn't harm the boat as long as you put a bit of padding on the roof rack and strap it down well. Tie the bow to the front of the car too for extra safety.

Yes. In fact it's so easy to car-top a Laser that it's idio.... Oops. I forgot again, I'm not allowed to say that either.

Welcome newbie to Laser sailing. Laser sailors are the best people in the world. Most of us like to have fun. Hope you are one of us. :)

I'd check the load rating of the car and rack. Probably less of an issue for medium/larger cars but my small hatch back (Peugeot 206 with manufacturers roof rack) has a max load of 50Kg (not quite enough for a Laser). Also, check the width of you roof rack. Again, probably not an issue for larger cars but my little thing's roof rack would not be wide enough for a Laser.

Ian

It's important to tie it well to the rack but also make sure the rack is well secured to the car. I once had a large roof-top item leave the car - with rack. I think it reached 20 plus feet before coming back to the blacktop. It was still well-secured to the rack though.

Here is a thread that answers many of your questions "koop":

http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=2464

By the way, today, the laser on the top of my car has changed to a newer Laser. But the old Ford still runs and runs [only that the Ford has a few scratches more on the roof (from the traveler camcleat and the currycleats of the mainsheet on the deck of the Laser)].... :eek:)

Koop

Been sailing small boats since the late '70's. At that time, I think most Lasers, Invitations, Force 5's, 3.8 Sunfish, were all car-topped.
Make sure the rack can handle the weight, and that it is secured to the car well. Try to get some good tie downs for and aft right to the car, not just the rack. I also always tie a good line from the hull right to the hitch to prevent a "laser missle" in case I hit the binders.

good luck
SpeedSqare

Many thanks to you all for the advice. I did find some other great posts as well...looks like I've got it all covered..for now. Let's see what questions arise once I get it!

thanks again - :)

Koop,
I agree. I think you have got it covered. I just did it for 275 miles on top of my van this past weekend with three pool noodles and 4 ratchet straps.

Back