Mast float on expo fiberglass mast

need to rephrase the above thread. Does the Expo with the fiberglass mast not turtle like the Capri 14.2 with the Aluminum mast.
Is the Expo mast sealed so that it will float. Anybody capsized an Expo and not had any turtling problems. Any info will be helpful.
I sail alone almost all the time and a turtling boat would not be good for me.

The fiberglass mast won't make a difference as far as the boat going turtle. sealed mast or not. imho EVERY dinghy, regardless of make or model, should have a mast float of some kind. The 14.2 is very beamy, and if you look at a photo of it wile on it's side in the water there's very little of the mast actually in the water until the boat is well on it's way to being inverted, which is too late for any mast buoyancy to help keep it upright. once fully inverted, any dinghy will be hard to get back upright on you own, but if you can keep it on it's side with a mast float, one person can right the thing very easily. If there isn't too strong a wind, my wife can re-right our 14.2 (with mast float) by herself. she's currently rather weak and weighs about 110 lb due to illness.

The fiberglass mast won't make a difference as far as the boat going turtle. sealed mast or not. imho EVERY dinghy, regardless of make or model, should have a mast float of some kind. The 14.2 is very beamy, and if you look at a photo of it wile on it's side in the water there's very little of the mast actually in the water until the boat is well on it's way to being inverted, which is too late for any mast buoyancy to help keep it upright. once fully inverted, any dinghy will be hard to get back upright on you own, but if you can keep it on it's side with a mast float, one person can right the thing very easily. If there isn't too strong a wind, my wife can re-right our 14.2 (with mast float) by herself. she's currently rather weak and weighs about 110 lb due to illness.
Thank You. Do you have any experience with a mast float that will work with the furling mast on the expo 14.2

I'm not. my 14.2 is the std version. but would it be any different than installing a float on the aluminum mast? the DIY one I made looks like it would work well, and you wouldn't have to worry about the football style float being pointed straight into the wind if furled. ;)

Back