New design Standard Sail

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by rippa, Sep 12, 2015.

1. old laser guy

old laser guy New Member

It looks like you can pre order the sail from West Coast sailing for 530.oo dollars. I used the new practice for 6 months and the shape is still great. It's not any faster but it's going to last a lot longer.

2. oztayls

oztayls Member

I heard rumours from a reputable source in the USA that there was an out of court settlement, hence ILCA are moving on the outstanding Mk2 sail and the composite topmast will follow shortly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

It's kind of fundamentally stupid to have different equipment rules for different regattas, but yes, maybe this was the least bad way to do this after all. Time will tell. Decisions like this should however be published immediately, to avoid the rumours and speculation.
    Of course, a settlement would be nice, but this sail business doesn't necessarily mean more (as someone somewhere else speculated/knew) than that PSA is out of the court case.

4. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

To answer the original poster's question more specifically, my understanding is that only the following regattas (in addition to the Olympics) after November 1 don't allow the new sail:
    • African Olympic qualification regatta, Algiers, December 4 - 11
    • Sail Melbourne, December 6 - 13
    • Sailing World Cup Miami, January 25 - 30
    • ASAF Cup, Abu Dhabi, March 16 - 23
    • Trofeo Princesa Sofia, Palma de Mallorca, March 25 - April 2
    These are the only country qualifier events left for the Standard class.
    The Standard Worlds and Masters Worlds are in Mexico in May. I don't know why the new sail wouldn't be allowed there, but if not, it will be stated in the NORs.

5. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Battens will be another $64. It looks like these battens are different from the current (Mark I) ones ($32 at APS).

6. inlandfreddy

inlandfreddy Member

The presentations I have seen say that they are tapered wich also should be an improvement for the lifespan of the sail

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

European dealers offering the Mark II are asking EUR 550 or a bit less, plus 40something euros for the battens. I don't think it's a bad price at all, I was expecting something closer to 700... After all, a Europe dinghy sail (which is essentially the same size) from my local sailmaker (WB-Sails) has a very similar cut and comparable sailcloth, and it costs a thousand euros. (And no one's complaining.)

8. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

9. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

10. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

11. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

That's a significant change from what was normal practice for decades and quite a big cost saving.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  12. Horizon

Horizon Member

I think the last standard worlds for which sails were supplied was 2011 ISAF Worlds in Perth although competitors had to supply their own sails for the 2010 worlds in Hayling Island before that.

It may be a cost saving for the organisers, but I do not think it is a good thing as it moves away from the Laser concept of being the best sailor not the best equipment. Before the 2010 worlds their was an interview with one of the top sailors saying he was sorting out which sail best suited the spars he had been supplied with.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Please note that the posts related to the performance of the new Mark II sail have been moved to the Laser Talk forum.
    The title of the new thread is Mark II Standard Sail

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  14. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Fully released, and many are already sailing with them. Don't know what sort of inventory the dealers have as there was a mad rush when they first came out.