Phantom piece

lauren10

Would anyone have any ideas as to where I could possibly find or what I may be able to do? This piece is severly worn along the top where the line has chaffed over many years I am certain. I just got this boat last year and am trying to rehab as best I can. My son suggested putting some chafing gear on the rope as it is typically the same spot. The main haylard (I think this is the correct term) runs off the mast into this piece and gets cleated just below. The sunfish piece they sell is too large to fit. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• phantom piece 1.jpg
    phantom piece 1.jpg
    720 KB · Views: 32
  • phantom piece 2.jpg
    phantom piece 2.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 32
If you add a horn cleat to the mast, then there will very little load on the tail of the halyard, and you could probably just bypass that small fairlead and tie the tail of the halyard on your existing horn cleat (just to make sure if you turtle the boat the mast and sail always are connected to something on the boat).

Otherwise, try a marine supply store and look for a smaller fairlead.

Measure the distance between the fixing hole centres, and the maximum height which that location allows, and find a new fairlead that fits. Also it looks like you absolutely need one with a stainless insert! Both Allen and Ronstan have models that should work. (Forget about Harken in this case.)

Allen fairleads

Ronstan stainless-lined fairleads

Where are you located, where do you buy your sailing equipment? They may have what you need on the shelf.

_

All good suggestions, but you asked for ANY suggestions.

The Phantom fairlead takes very little load.

I'd drill it out, wirebrush the outside of a one-inch section of half-inch copper pipe, secure it in place by liberally using "Shoe Goo". (Especially on the forward end).

The stuff takes a few days to set up really hard, but it is compatible with plastic and metals. Any excess inside will eventually wear away--as well as any rough inside surfaces of the copper pipe. (And you don't have to pay today's inflated "marine-grade" prices).

Back