Roller Furling for Laser 2

Pivo

I have recently bought a Laser 2...I plan to sail singlehanded a lot and am considering adding a roller furling to the head sail. I realize the risk of snag on the spinnaker yet, when sailing a Vago with a roller it seemed to be fine. I am a little concerned about the foot of the sail lifting too high off the deck though.

Would appreciate any thoughts or comments on this idea...

Does anyone know where to find a small roller furling for a Laser 2?

Thanks!

I have recently bought a Laser 2...I plan to sail singlehanded a lot and am considering adding a roller furling to the head sail. I realize the risk of snag on the spinnaker yet, when sailing a Vago with a roller it seemed to be fine. I am a little concerned about the foot of the sail lifting too high off the deck though.

Would appreciate any thoughts or comments on this idea...

Does anyone know where to find a small roller furling for a Laser 2?

Thanks!
Check out the Ronstan RF76 Roller Furler. It is small and compact (only 3 1/2 inches high) and specifically designed for dinghys. I have used it for a while on a Capri 14.2 it is holding up great.

Well, there is not much to see. I keep the Roller Furler permanently mounted to the bowplate. I also keep a swivel snap permanently attached to the original forestay mounting hardware of the main as well. So when stepping the mast I first attach the head of the jib to the mast with the swivel snap, step the mast, then attach the tack of the jib to the roller furler with a quick connect - takes about 60 seconds and it's done(and no messing with jib hanks anymore). In this configuration, the original forestay is eliminated and it is replaced by the wire built into the luff of the jib itself (which is made of the exact same 1x19 ss wire). I also keep the jib rolled up when I am done sailing so I don't have to worry about folding it before I put it away (another timesaver).
Everything I needed to convert to this roller furler system cost around $110 in the fall of 2012. Cost for yours should be similar. Works like a champ, REALLY glad I did it.
RollerFurler_Swivel.JPGRollerFurler1.JPG
Regards,
Don

I found out that the jib is not fixed to the wire in the luff so I not sure the sail would furl properly...

Back