Sailing over 60!

Dennis

Well, it wasn't that fast, but it sure felt good, and 60 is my age.

The winds of Spring are up at Tomales Bay...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrL-cWXLjhI&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Laser Rush[/ame]

It got a lot windier after this video, but by then I needed both hands to handle the boat.

Dennis O.
Tomales Bay CA

Nice video!!! I hope when I'm your age I can still make the boat work!!! Perhaps.... its a CA thing? :p

I am 46 and relatively new to laser sailing....When i was considering buying this great sailboat i heard some people say that the boat is too tippy and that someone at my weight (215 lbs.) would be too big to sail it......Hogwash!!!!!....the clincher for me in deciding to buy this boat was watching a previous video of you on youtube...something about saiing on tomales bay....I thought to myself....this is what i want sailing to be for me....communing with God and nature, deep reflections, just enjoying the scenery.....that is what your videos portrays....Of coarse i love my laser now and even decided to buy the hansen sail for it...i think the sail area is 120 square feet...cant wait to get that sail.....for what its worth i think my weight adds to the stability of the boat.....I am not a racer....once during a windy day i saw two skinny teenagers capsize in one laser boat....for me it never has been a big issue...just my thoughts...john

Hey, John,

I like your attitude! Also interested in how the bigger sail works out - let me know!

It's looking good out there today, so I'm headed for an overnight at Tomales Bay....

- Cheers,

Dennis

Definately will let you know when i get the sail. I thought when i did whitewater rafting for the first time that this was the sport for me but I found out it is seasonal...Then i got in kayaking and found myself wanting to put a sail on the kayak....It worked great downwind but when i put down the sail to paddle upwind,,,oh my god...what a hassle....someone told me that a person could sail partway into the wind when sailing a legitimate sailboat...that was a revelation to me....I still believe wholeheartedly that if allot of the recreational kayakers knew how easy it is to learn how to sail, they would be putting down their paddles immediately....with sailing you can go much farther distances and far less physical exertion is necessary.....If someone is a kayaker on this forum do yourself a huge favor and take some lessons at a local sailing facility....it could be one of the best things you could do for your peace of mind and physical welfare...john

Back