Sunfish ID help

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Chad Morris, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

There is no serial number on the right side of my latest Sunfish. Maybe someone knows the year of this professionally-molded number—which I have enhanced:
    PB290014-001.JPG

2. Light and Variable Winds

:cool: In less than a week, using my "boilerplate" Craigslist language, just picked up a beautiful Sunfish from that era: Cubby, block on deck, no HIN, bronze rudder head and fittings. NH state sticker from year 1999! :) 'Still waiting to hear if my Florida Sunfish blew away before I part with it. :oops:

Actually, the seller had a different CL ad in—and was verbally told of my other CL ad "Wanted-Sunfish". Even with as little cash as I offered, I may have actually paid more than he was asking! :rolleyes:

I'd put another Craigslist "wanted" ad in, but after loading it by myself, would have to remove this latest Sunfish from my truck. :(

Those bronze parts are heavy! :confused: Are they worth selling, in order to update the rudder and gudgeon? I'd guess not...but I'm here to ask anyway. :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Light and Variable Winds

Here's what Craig2727 wrote previously:
    I've highlighted where my newest Sunfish differs, but Craig2727 doesn't mention the metal of which his gudgeon is made. :confused:

(My daggerboard has the standard rounded tip, and the rudder "head" is bronze).

Even the "Sunfish Evolution" .pdf—supplied by Webfoot1—is incomplete in this area. Was 1968-1970 a period of transition or a mixture of inventoried parts—piled high-and-deep? :rolleyes:

The hull is secured for transport on my pickup truck and would be difficult to move, but where would I look for the "new for 1969" AMF identifications?

Is my "new" Sunfish a 1970?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  4. oldpaint

oldpaint Active Member

Having a 1969 since new, and being at the dealership Hance and Smythe in Manahawkin, N.J. for the purchase, the only distinguishing factor between 1968 and 1969 was the label inside the cockpit, the side labels and the AMF added to the serial number plate. The labels hadn't been changed much, just the red AMF triangle added. The red has faded over the years. The rudder head just has the white plastic grommet, not the full bronze piece.

My feeling is that for 1969 they just put AMF on the boat and made no other changes. (I don't recall any surprise at the double green diagonal stripes on the foredeck of my white hulled boat, so that might have been something that was already available by 1968.)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Light and Variable Winds

Full bronze piece? :confused:

Fullscreen capture 9182017 81117 PM.bmp.jpg

Something tells me the photo was taken from the wrong side of the truck. :rolleyes:

But OK. The side labels have the AMF triangle, and the rudder head is bronze. But the wood tiller has two aluminum extensions to the bronze rudder head. Is this the "transition rudder"?

If I'm following this correctly, would this Sunfish be a '69 or a '70?

6. Sailflow

Sailflow Member

The bronze top you could buy as a add on to try to stop the rudder splitting. Your rudder could be as new as 71. The aluminum extension started in 72.

7. oldpaint

oldpaint Active Member

If you take it apart and find a split in the mahogany, the bronze head was probably bought for repair. Anyway I concur with Sailflow.

I'd be interested to see a photo of the label inside the cockpit. That did change over the AMF years and it might be possible to come up with a timeline of when those changes happened.

8. Light and Variable Winds

The computer's in the shop until tomorrow. In the meantime, it's a 2x5" rectangle. The photo's not so good, and the label can't be read until later, when I can "unload" it off the truck.