Thanks for creating this forum Just in time!!!!

jaeger

I pick up my first boat this Saturday. 1996 Capri 14.2 jib roller, boom kicker, Genoa sail (i was told) this is a large Jib that goes past the boom by about 3 feet at the foot. Glad I have the furler!. I got a little nervous when the owner stepped the mast! WOW that's way up there. I hope that I will be able to handle this one! Any advice for a newbie?

Re: Just in time!!!!

Hi, jaeger. Hope I can work this new forum right.

As another "newbie" to the Capri 14, but not to Capris or to sailing, I want to say, congratulations, you picked (in my opinion) the best sailing dinghy to learn in and continue to grow as a sailor into competitive racing.

I have a Capri 25 that I used to race, and am now racing on a Morgan 42. But today I was out with my wife in 15 - 20 knots in the Capri 14 and I have to tell you, it was more fun that those other boats put together. Plus, you will learn much better and faster in a small boat, because everything matters.

One word about the genoa, be sure to roll it down to just about the mast (or less) in any wind above 10 knots, otherwise you will be way overpowered. In fact, since this is your first boat, you might want to start out with main alone, and the genoa rolled in all the way. As you get comfortable with handling the main, you can start playing with the jib.

On stepping the mast, after a few times you will find it's really easy. The best way to learn sailing is to start with a small responsive boat, and you have done that. And if you move into larger boats, you will find that they work the same way, but you can make mistakes and get away with them, whereas a small boat teaches you to pay attention to details and become a more disciplined sailor.

Good luck!

C14

I have never seen a C14.2 with a genoa. When you get the boat please send a photo of the it rigged with the genoa. I have been very pleased with my boat. I have had her a little over a year now. Are you going to be daysailing or racing? I've done no racing so I can't help you there. I keep a little book on each time we go sailing (because about each time I find something I need to fix or change). My wife and I usually go out for a day (6-10 Hours) every time we go and we have been 39 times so far. We have not capsized the boat yet but we have had her on her "beam ends" a couple times. I put a furler on about 3 months back and in my opinion that is one of the best things you can do to make things less stressfull and reduce the threat of capsize. If the wind starts to build and she starts heeling like crazy. roll up the jib. She will sail fine on the main alone. Just make sure you have some speed up when tacking or you might get stuck in the wind. With the extra canvas a genoa gives, you might not want to unfurl it all the way unless the winds are light or you get real confident. Keep in mind as the wind speed doubles, the force on the sails quadruples. One saying that someone told me about unballsted boats has helped me when we were caught out in the lake and foul weather came up out of nowhere "never cleat a sheet in a storm". If you keep them in your hands you can react qucicker. Of couse, you may live in an area where the winds are constant and light. I have only had a couple of days like that. Enjoy and let me know about how the genoa does.

Genoa sail??

Kim
Someone told me it was a Genoa. It extends about 1 feet past the shroud when sheeted in.
It's on a furler so I will try to get a picture when we are out next. However, I've been out twice and I can't wait till next time so please be opatient, I have other things on my mind when I get to the lake. I agree, the furler is a good option.. Both of the days that I was out thew wind was very light. I let the whole jib out and throughout both times it only started to heel once or twice. I am practicing on a lake withing5 minutes of home. It is rather small and the wind is usually not too fast. I know this because I also fly a Stunt kite

Thanks, Art Jaeger

Back