this seems like a pretty good deal...

Should I buy this boat for $700 even if it doesn't have sails and the trailer needs new tires?

• Probably not a good deal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

robm5

Good afternoon Capri 14 owners. For the last 2 years I've been driving by a house and have noticed an ignored sailboat sitting in the exact same spot day after day. I've made a habit of driving slowly by the house to see if I could catch someone outside so I could talk to them.

I rode my bike by the house this morning and on my second pass I finally decided this is nuts and went around to the back door (the front door was somewhat inaccessible from misc. stuff piled about). I didn't have to actually knock as the dogs gave away my encroachment on their territory. The guy was really nice and acquired the boat from his late father a couple of years ago. I asked him about selling it and he told me he would let it and the trailer go for $700. Here's the deal - there's no sails to go with it. Does anyone know where I could find some decent used sails?

I've had small prams and an O'day Widgeon in the past and I'm wanting to hopefully get my kids hooked on sailing at a young age. My wife supports me getting a sailboat, but is a little unsure if this is that great of a deal being that it "doesn't really have what it takes to make it go" (as she gently pointed out).:)

Any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Below is a pic of the boat I took with my phone. Thank you and have a great day, Rob.
IMG_0575.jpg

Good afternoon Capri 14 owners. For the last 2 years I've been driving by a house and have noticed an ignored sailboat sitting in the exact same spot day after day. I've made a habit of driving slowly by the house to see if I could catch someone outside so I could talk to them.

I rode my bike by the house this morning and on my second pass I finally decided this is nuts and went around to the back door (the front door was somewhat inaccessible from misc. stuff piled about). I didn't have to actually knock as the dogs gave away my encroachment on their territory. The guy was really nice and acquired the boat from his late father a couple of years ago. I asked him about selling it and he told me he would let it and the trailer go for $700. Here's the deal - there's no sails to go with it. Does anyone know where I could find some decent used sails?

I've had small prams and an O'day Widgeon in the past and I'm wanting to hopefully get my kids hooked on sailing at a young age. My wife supports me getting a sailboat, but is a little unsure if this is that great of a deal being that it "doesn't really have what it takes to make it go" (as she gently pointed out).:)

Any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Below is a pic of the boat I took with my phone. Thank you and have a great day, Rob.View attachment 10840

Any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Below is a pic of the boat I took with my phone. Thank you and have a great day, Rob.View attachment 10840
Hi Rob,
I would think if the boat is in reasonable condition for it's age, it doesn't sound like too bad of a deal. It looks like it has a nice galvanized trailer and a factory motor mount. I'm not sure but it looks to be a Mod 2. I think you could find a set of sails on Ebay or maybe a good used set from one of the members on this forum. If it has sat that long, doesn't seem that anyone else is interested either? I would offer the owner 300-500.00 cash, and see what happens. Good luck......bill

Hi Rob,
I would think if the boat is in reasonable condition for it's age, it doesn't sound like too bad of a deal. It looks like it has a nice galvanized trailer and a factory motor mount. I'm not sure but it looks to be a Mod 2. I think you could find a set of sails on Ebay or maybe a good used set from one of the members on this forum. If it has sat that long, doesn't seem that anyone else is interested either? I would offer the owner 300-500.00 cash, and see what happens. Good luck......bill

Thanks for the input, Bill. You're right, it is a mod 2. The hull number is 4482, Catalina confirmed it was built in 1995. I'm wanting another sailboat so bad I'm afraid it may be clouding my judgement. I guess I'll see if the guy will take a little less before I start reaching out to locate used sails.

Once again, thank you for responding. My best, Rob.

Thanks for the input, Bill. You're right, it is a mod 2. The hull number is 4482, Catalina confirmed it was built in 1995. I'm wanting another sailboat so bad I'm afraid it may be clouding my judgement. I guess I'll see if the guy will take a little less before I start reaching out to locate used sails.

Once again, thank you for responding. My best, Rob.
I know what sailboat fever is like, I too found a Catalina Capri that I could not pass up. My hull number is 4696 so our boats are pretty much the same. If you find the hull and other equipment on the boat is pretty sound, I would certainly try to bargin with the owner. If you are able to make a good deal, that makes it that much better. Again, good luck............bill

I own a mod 1 built in 1987, with a painted trailer and nice but old sails. I bought it for $1200 five years ago and how have about $2100 in it. I would buy that boat in a heartbeat, add "NEW" sails for less than $1000 and have a great boat for much less than I have in mine. Your running and standing rigging should be in good shape, unless the boat was left uncovered outside, then you may need new running rigging.

I have a used set of multicolor sails available if you are interested. They are from my gently used 1994 model and are in great condition. Please let me know if you are interested.

That's your boat, it's been waiting there for you. I see a few good things going on in your favor.

It's already in your neighborhood!

It's a 1995 Mod 2, that's new in my book!

Good galvanized trailer and a good chance those tires will hold air!

I just wonder why there are no sails, mine is a 93, bought used a few years ago, complete with original sails in excellent condition (paid $1500.) !

I like Bill's suggestion, give the man a little soft story and make a counter offer ..... have your cash ready ;)

And get her home :)

I own a mod 1 built in 1987, with a painted trailer and nice but old sails. I bought it for $1200 five years ago and how have about $2100 in it. I would buy that boat in a heartbeat, add "NEW" sails for less than $1000 and have a great boat for much less than I have in mine. Your running and standing rigging should be in good shape, unless the boat was left uncovered outside, then you may need new running rigging.
Hey Greg, unfortunately it has been left outside for a while. I didn't even mention the rigging earlier, but all the running rigging is missing and I haven't inspected the standing rigging yet (It should be OK, I'm hoping). I've been trying to get together some figures from Catalina Direct so I could get a clearer idea of what I would have to put in it.

So far, it looks like I'm going to need running rigging, sails, toe straps and... I'm not really sure what else. As you can see, my mindset is shifting from should I, to how, what, etc...

Thanks for your post - it definitely helps to have affirmation and every positive comment makes my wife a little more comfortable. ;)
Thanks again, Rob

I have a used set of multicolor sails available if you are interested. They are from my gently used 1994 model and are in great condition. Please let me know if you are interested.
Hey ackwu. Yes, I would be interested. I'm not needing anything to race with, just a decent set to get on the water and start teaching my kids. I'll send you a conversation note with my contact information. Thank you, Rob.

That's your boat, it's been waiting there for you. I see a few good things going on in your favor.

It's already in your neighborhood!

It's a 1995 Mod 2, that's new in my book!

Good galvanized trailer and a good chance those tires will hold air!

I just wonder why there are no sails, mine is a 93, bought used a few years ago, complete with original sails in excellent condition (paid $1500.) !

I like Bill's suggestion, give the man a little soft story and make a counter offer ..... have your cash ready ;)

And get her home :)

I completely agree, George! He mentioned spending $800 on sails and having a nice boat for $1,500. So, part of the reason I'm wanting to have an accurate list of items is also to use that information as a bit of a bargaining chip and (just like you said) approach him with "X" number of bills in cash. I'm not wanting to steal it from the poor guy, but I certainly don't want this boat to nickel and dime me to death. I'm fairly certain that pretty soon I'll be airing up that tire and pulling it home one way or the other. :)

Thanks for your input. I'd be lying if I didn't admit to getting more excited about it. Have a great one and I'll let you know.
-Rob

The trailer itself is worth at least $300-$400, keep that in mind. The fact the running rigging is missing is also a good thing, you would have needed to replace it soon anyway, now you have to. Is the rudder and tiller there?

The trailer itself is worth at least $300-$400, keep that in mind. The fact the running rigging is missing is also a good thing, you would have needed to replace it soon anyway, now you have to. Is the rudder and tiller there?
Right - very good point about the trailer - I need to keep that in mind. Yes, the rudder and tiller are there, but I didn't look very close at them. I pretty much just identified that they were there.

I'm going to go by this weekend and ask him to take another look. I've looked at the hull fairly closely and there are no indications of hard knocks and no deep scratches.

Are the centerboards fairly maintenance free on these boats? What else would you suggest I check or verify this weekend?

Many thanks, Rob

Rob, just for your own peace of mind, take a good close look at the mast step area for any signs of cracks or repairs, also the step itself, for any sign of kinks or hammer marks, this would indicate that mast may have toppled due to rigging failure and ripped the step out of the deck. This incident usually results in some serious damage to the deck at the step area.

If there was such an incident, you may want to satisfy yourself, that it was repaired properly ;)

Rob, just for your own peace of mind, take a good close look at the mast step area for any signs of cracks or repairs, also the step itself, for any sign of kinks or hammer marks, this would indicate that mast may have toppled due to rigging failure and ripped the step out of the deck. This incident usually results in some serious damage to the deck at the step area.

If there was such an incident, you may want to satisfy yourself, that it was repaired properly ;)
Excellent advice! I'll definitely be checking that out. Thank very much! -Rob

I have boat 108, found it at a rummage sale, they wanted $500 for, but said it didn't have a tiller. I looked it over, talked to the Admiral about it, got her OK, and offered them $200, since it didn't have a tiller. It had the original running rigging and everything else was good. Gave the guy my card and hoped he would call. He called me at the end of the sale that day, said he had found the tiller.

I double checked everything, and handed him $400 cash, and told him that the Admiral had said I could only spend 300. He took the deal, it is hard for someone who wants to get rid of something to had you back cash.

I have sailed the boat now for five years, I race it, it is competitive, I have replaced the running rigging, wanted thinner lines. Have thought about replacing the sails, since I believe they are originals and know they would make me more competitive. I have demasted it once, long story, but 28 knot gust, from 15-18, with a wind change in direction of 100 degrees when you are on wing to wing run, is not good. I would agree with George, check the mast step area, make sure it is not bolted through with nut and bolts, if it is then change it. That is what saved me when I lost my mast, the step pulled right out with very little damage, I actually raced the next day.

I would take $400 cash over there and you will probably take home a boat. Sound like a good bye to me.

Kent

ps...I would also double check the shrouds or at least consider replacing them that is what broke when I lost my mast.

KCT

I have boat 108, found it at a rummage sale, they wanted $500 for, but said it didn't have a tiller. I looked it over, talked to the Admiral about it, got her OK, and offered them $200, since it didn't have a tiller. It had the original running rigging and everything else was good. Gave the guy my card and hoped he would call. He called me at the end of the sale that day, said he had found the tiller.

I double checked everything, and handed him $400 cash, and told him that the Admiral had said I could only spend 300. He took the deal, it is hard for someone who wants to get rid of something to had you back cash.

I have sailed the boat now for five years, I race it, it is competitive, I have replaced the running rigging, wanted thinner lines. Have thought about replacing the sails, since I believe they are originals and know they would make me more competitive. I have demasted it once, long story, but 28 knot gust, from 15-18, with a wind change in direction of 100 degrees when you are on wing to wing run, is not good. I would agree with George, check the mast step area, make sure it is not bolted through with nut and bolts, if it is then change it. That is what saved me when I lost my mast, the step pulled right out with very little damage, I actually raced the next day.

I would take $400 cash over there and you will probably take home a boat. Sound like a good bye to me.

Kent

ps...I would also double check the shrouds or at least consider replacing them that is what broke when I lost my mast.

KCT
Wow Kent, you got great a deal! Were your original shrouds covered in plastic? These are (covered in plastic, that is). Do you think just checking for obvious signs of discoloration or other visual clues are enough to determine their reliability? A new set of shrouds could be $85 very well spent (just checked at Catlalina Direct). I'm guessing this is a case where it's better to be safe than really, really sorry...

Thank you Kent for the sound advice.
-Rob

Rob wrote:
A new set of shrouds could be $85 very well spent (just checked at Catlalina Direct). I'm guessing this is a case where it's better to be safe than really, really sorry...

You couldn't have put it better Rob ....I think it's fair to say, (since there is no backstay) the Shrouds are probably the hardest working piece of equipment on the Capri 14.2 .

You couldn't have put it better Rob ....I think it's fair to say, (since there is no backstay) the Shrouds are probably the hardest working piece of equipment on the Capri 14.2 .

Makes sense. Question George - How hard or different is it to rig a roller furling jib as opposed to the hank on type? I've never had a r/f jib and I have to trailer the long block and a half to our lake (not far, but trailer none-the-less). Should I look to trade the r/f system or can I make it work as easy?

Thanks,
Rob

Makes sense. Question George - How hard or different is it to rig a roller furling jib as opposed to the hank on type? I've never had a r/f jib and I have to trailer the long block and a half to our lake (not far, but trailer none-the-less). Should I look to trade the r/f system or can I make it work as easy? Thanks, Rob
----------------------------------------------------
Rob, to be honest, I don't have a Furling Jib but I have done a lot of reading on the subject. My understanding is that it could be a bit of a nuisance if you have to de-rig constantly.
My guess is, it will come down to how difficult the top and bottom fittings are to work with, since you may want to disconnect at the deck as well as the top swivel but let's wait to hear from the skippers that do have such a system.
In the meantime, why not do a search on Furling Jib (I just tried it and got numerous hits) :)

The shrouds were not covered in plastic. The force of the gust and the wind changing from coming over the starboard stern to the port of the boat, so quickly, caused the boat to jib, wiped the boom across the boat. The force of the boom and sail coming across, so quickly, and with the amount of the wind behind it caused the demasting. I actually had the sail on the correct side of the boat, because when I rounded the third mark, I had to shift the sail over purposely so has to not put me in that position, that I would have an unexpected jib. I really think that no matter if the shrouds had been old or new, one of them would have either broken, or another part of the hardware would have broken. The shroud just happened to be the weakest point.

The shrouds and their mounting hardware of one of the things on my checklist, that I check every time I sail.

Kent

I have a roller furler jib on my boat, it just hanks on where the forstay would attach, 3/4 of the way up the mast, and then uses the same attachment point on the bow of the boat, I sail solo most of the time and the roller headsail is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. I drop my mast every time I trailer the boat to the launch ramp.

I sail solo most of the time and the roller headsail is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. I drop my mast every time I trailer the boat to the launch ramp.
Greg, that's great to hear because I too will probably be solo-sailing most of the time and I really like the idea of having a r/f jib.

2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
**UPDATE** Over the past couple of months I've accepted a job with my company on night shift, nearly broken my back acting way younger than my age and spent a several days trying to track down the owner of the boat who seems to have walked away from his property.

However, perseverance paid off and I finally got it on Monday of this week (picked it up for $500)!!! It cleaned up pretty nicely too. And George, you were right, the tires DID hold air! :) I found some sails that were virtually new and still in their original bag on Craigslist and there is a Hobie wholesale dealer around the corner where I picked up a new Hobie BabyBob for $100 (Greg, I'm using your design to mount it to the mast). I've also been able to buy Harken blocks and line from the wholesale dealer which has saved a few bucks (I'm pretty frugal if you can't tell) - several of the blocks (like the swivel blocks with becket) had to be ordered, so they should arrive next week.

I just have a couple of things to do to the trailer and I should be good to go. I'm affixing the Bob to the mast in the next couple of days. I will have many upcoming questions for the group, but I am really excited.

Thanks to the several guys who have already given me advice, this is a great forum and I feel fortunate to have found it. Attached are a couple of pictures of my progress thus far.

Thanks and have a great day,
Rob

I picked up a 1998 cp-k 14.2 Full keel on a nice galvanized trailer today. with roller furler for $250. Been stored inside for a few years. Tires good, but is missing the boom and mainsail. Do you still have your sails for sale? I can get a new retrofit boom from Catalina for $250, so if I can find a main, I'll be set. Thanks

Back