Truth or fiction? Need help, vertical or horizontal?

Kris Styes

Truth or fiction? Need help, vertical or horizontal?

I am at the point when I will make a final decision on which way to go with a roll around platform for our standard Laser.

I have done a lot of reading on the Forum, and find merit with both laying our Laser, deck down, on an elevated 6’ x 4’ platform, and, laying the Laser vertically on it’s gunnell rail.

Gaining space with the elevation will allow me to storm gear under the platform

Using the vertically system will gain me gear storage and garage floor space. This space would be nice to have, but it is not necessary.

I am interested in collecting opinions, plans and pictures of how Forum members have done vertical gunnell storage for a Laser. Gunnell storage just scares me. Convince me that this is OK?

In advance, thanks to all that reply.

Kris
Hutchinson, KS

What scares you about gunwale storage ?

FWIW, a number of yacht clubs store them this way, as well as the factory in RI.

I've had my boat on the gunwale for a couple of long distance trailer trips w/o issues

We store ours on the gunwale, using tires (only high performance :D) and cushions to keep them separated and off the floor. We also switch them every year (odd years = port side down). I don't know if there is any advantage to doing this, but it kind of reminds me of the USS Constitution. The ship is turned around in Boston Harbor every year so she weathers evenly.

Back