Video: Towing Norcalsail 5 Miles With A Laser

andyatos

We have a post video request. It's the day I towed Norcalsail from Wall Beach (off of Hog Island) in Tomales Bay back to where we launched. Notice the fine bracing and steering technique used by Norcal. After observing his technique I knew he was an experienced Waterman and that we were going to have a great future sailing together!

Here's the whole video.

And here's just the towing part.

- Andy

We have a post video request. It's the day I towed Norcalsail from Wall Beach (off of Hog Island) in Tomales Bay back to where we launched. Notice the fine bracing and steering technique used by Norcal. After observing his technique I knew he was an experienced Waterman and that we were going to have a great future sailing together!

Here's the whole video.

And here's just the towing part.

- Andy
I’m surprised at the mild wave action considering you were in the bay.

I’m surprised at the mild wave action considering you were in the bay.
Due to the shape of the bay and the narrow entrance, swells from the ocean don't make it very far into the bay. So, those were 100% wind waves. And even though the fetch was pretty long, it wasn't blowing very hard.

The tide had been going out for about an hour when we started the tow so the wind was blowing against the tide... but on Tomales Bay you can move cross current and into shallower water with slower current and get flatter water.

That was a fun tow. :cool:

- Andy

We were trying to get off of Lake Superior before the torrential rains and 70 mph winds came. We made it by an hour!
DSCN1214.jpeg

Lake Superior?? Was this the multi-day cruise around Isle Royale posted by Adventures in Reach? What an adventure!
This was the next year (2021). Matt did the Isle Royale trip in 2020, and I contacted him for advice. He invited me to sail with him, and with Nate (the Hobie sailor) on a camp-cruise trip through the Apostle Islands. Matt has a video of that trip. I'm Bob with the blue and white sail.
Last year (2022), Matt and Nate and I plus 3 adventurous friends camp-cruised the Slate Islands in northern Lake Superior, Ontario. 3 people on Nate's Hobie, 3 people on my Hobie. Matt made a video of that trip too.
Matt and crew went last summer (2023) to the Apostles, unfortunately I was recovering from surgery and missed it.
We're making plans for next summer. I'm thinking the Manitou Islands off Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan.

We were in the Apostle Islands, sailing from Outer Island to Sand Bay. Very little wind with a major storm predicted. We were ready to beach on one of the islands along the way

We were in the Apostle Islands, sailing from Outer Island to Sand Bay. Very little wind with a major storm predicted. We were ready to beach on one of the islands along the way
That's definitely an adventure and very cool. Just north of Ashland, I see. My favorite sailing is on Big Portage Lake in Land O Lakes, there on the border with the UP. Of course, when a squall comes up, I can usually make it home in time :):):)

Back