Waxing the boat.

Sunfish1968

Hi all. I have a Sunfish (blue and white model). It is an older model and the fibreglass hull gets waxed periodically. However, it has developed a milky white appearance that I would like to remove. Any ideas how this can be done easily? Is there a product or do I just need multiple coats of wax?
Thanks
Rob

First I would suspect that perhaps the last coat didn't get buffed out well enough.

Otherwise, you could try a glaze as a first step. Wash, glaze, then wax.

What is glaze, and what kind of wax should you use? Car wax? Liquid or paste?

You would get glaze from an autoparts store. It's the finest polish you get and typically the last step before you wax a finish when restoring it. With elbow grease, it will take minor oxidation out.

I've used car wax on mine. On the deck where you sit, you can use surfboard wax so you're not on a slip and slide while sailing. :D

What is glaze, and what kind of wax should you use? Car wax? Liquid or paste?

Hi Randy. Not sure about glaze, but a phone call to a marina should solve that problem. I generally use a paste car wax and that may account for an improper buffing last time out. You can get a palm buffer similar to a palm sander and they are not expensive. I think I may give that a try.

Rob

Great blog on the mini fish! I was always told that wax slowed down a boat and I should avoid waxing a hull. Is there any truth to that?

I've heard the same thing, and the reasoning is that wax is hydrophobic (I think that's the term, it repels water). There is a product out there that does just the opposite, that is, it attracts and holds a thin film of water on the hull, so you have the water film attached to the hull sliding through water, which is much less friction. I used it on a kayak a few years ago. It comes in a spray bottle, you just spray it on and let it dry. It's almost clear, there might be a real light amber color if you spray it on too thick.
When you take your boat out of the water you can actually see a thin film of water clinging to the hull. It almost looks like mist.

It seemed to me that my kayak paddled with less resistance after using it, but that could very well be due to suggestibility. If I can recall the name of the product, I'll post a link to it so you can check it out.

Great blog on the mini fish! I was always told that wax slowed down a boat and I should avoid waxing a hull. Is there any truth to that?

Hey thanks! I hope it's full of useful info. :D

I've heard that wax slows it down and I've heard that it speeds it up.

I do know this... Polishing out oxidation is a bitch. So I'll take the ever so slight hit in speed rather than have to restore the finish again. :mad:

I've heard that wax slows it down and I've heard that it speeds it up.
This is awfully audiological, what's the science?

Calling Mythbusters. . .

Mythbusters_title_screen.jpg

Anybody try something formulated for boats, like Sailkote?

http://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/www.catsail.com/archives/v3-i2/feature4.htm

Thanks Wayne. That link from the cat sailors is often used to settle the argument (into 'neutral'). In other words, waxing isn't going to make you a win a race. Little doubt though that waxing is helpful to keep the hull cleaner, especially in dirty waters. Some people/racers use polishes containing PTEF (teflon), but again, it won't make you go significantly faster. Most racers that I know don't use wax but wet sand the bottom of their hulls, and some of them go to extremes. Doesn't work for me, but that merely reflects my lack of racing skills and some inborn laziness :eek:.

PS: I never wax my deck because it would make it slippery.

This is awfully audiological, what's the science?

What?
There is no science. I've heard it both ways and haven't been convinced either way.
I spent an awfully long time restoring the finish on my boat because it wasn't waxed. So I'm going to wax it because I like shiny things. :p

What? There is no science​
196519.1010.A.jpg

I spent an awfully long time restoring the finish on my boat because it wasn't waxed. So I'm going to wax it because I like shiny things. :p
So you're talking maintenance & upkeep. With all that mention of laminar flow and coefficient of friction stuff, I thought we were talking racing prep. ;) ...I'm with you, protect the finish and get a nice looking boat in the process. I spent too many years pampering hull bottoms for racing, now it's just wax-on wax-off ... go sailing.

Hi all. I have a Sunfish (blue and white model). It is an older model and the fibreglass hull gets waxed periodically. However, it has developed a milky white appearance that I would like to remove. Any ideas how this can be done easily? Is there a product or do I just need multiple coats of wax? Thanks Rob
Sounds like you might have gelcoat oxidation or dirt mixed into your wax job. Paste waxes that are opaque are called "cleaner-wax", a mix of polishing compound and wax ... they sometimes do that. If your blue was a good solid blue before and this just appeared recently, that's a likely candidate.

Clean a test spot with mineral spirits to really remove all the wax. Does the test spot look blue again when its dry?

No..., buff out the gelcoat.

Yes..., Clean the whole boat and re-wax with a non-cleaner, clear wax or gelcoat restoration product.​

One last thought, when you said, " it has developed a milky white appearance" were you talking since the last time you waxed or over the last ten years. Over years it could be sun fade. No fix for that short of a paint job.

Back