What kind of helmet?

Merrily

Administrator
I'm thinking of getting a helmet for my Laser sailing for higher winds. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Hockey? Baseball? Other?

There was a German guy at the MMWE wearing a helmet. It looked like a bikers or roller bladers helmet. It had a hard shell outside. I think a lot of the Aussie 18 sailors wear helmets too. Some surfers wear them. So, there's a type out there that will work.

Rob, thats Rene B. I know him. He often sails with helmet. Merrily did you met Rene? I try to ask him what helmet he prefers.
Ciao LooserLu

A friend who had some surgery to his skull wore a cheap bike helmet for sailing scows until everything heeled.

I'd probably go with one of the white-water kayak helmets for a long-term solution. You might ask at a windsurfer shop - I know many of those folks use helmets when it gets windy.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Rob, thats Rene B. I know him. He often sails with helmet. Merrily did you met Rene? I try to ask him what helmet he prefers.
Ciao LooserLu

I did talk to Rene out on the water at your suggestion. When I asked if he was Rene, he said, am I that famous? Very funny.

I'd probably go with one of the white-water kayak helmets for a long-term solution.
In my kayaking past I wore Pro-tec Ace helmets. I preferred open-eared, but the full-cut offers more protection.

I used to shop at NRS, but it's been several years since I've done any business with them.

I did talk to Rene out on the water at your suggestion. When I asked if he was Rene, he said, am I that famous? Very funny.
:) :)

An email with a question, related to the "head"line (what a funny "correlation"..., right?) of this thread already is on the way to Rene.
LooserLu

In my kayaking past I wore Pro-tec Ace helmets. I preferred open-eared, but the full-cut offers more protection.

I used to shop at NRS, but it's been several years since I've done any business with them.

Ooo, they come in pink!

So do Gaths:
SeanDavey19close.jpg

After a few unwelcome interactions with the boom, requiring stitches, I decided to get an inexpensive bike helmet. I use it when all by myself on windy days. Yes, it looks odd, but at my age, who cares :). In fact, pictures posted from the recent St Francis Spring Dinghy Regatta show a (yellow) helmeted person sailing his Laser.
But what I have been looking for is a foam type helmet that I got to use a few years ago while at Minorca Sailing. It came from the windsurfing world, I believe, and was quite comfortable. Where to get one of those is the question.

you killed it!

it is a pretty looking cat thing...

her kitty kitty kitty!

Back