Wisker Pole

no4j

My Capri does not have a whisker pole. Nor does it seem to have anything on the mast to attach one to. I would love to see a pic of the attachment hardware on the mast and also the pole itself. Super great would be a source for these.

Thanks.

make your own whisker pole

It would not be hard to make your own. Just buy an aluminum 8' telescoping painters pole, and mke connections at each end.

You can Google the item from many sailing supply houses and either buy one from them or make your own.

I am going to make my own and see hoe beneficial it is before I spend $100 or so and order one.

I bought a Pad Eye at WestMarina for and installed in on the front of the mast:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10102&subdeptNum=10161&classNum=10168 --- Not sure if this is the exact part I used, but it looks like it probably is. There are instructions on this site somewhere that gives a good height recommendation for placement of the pad eye. You can figure it out for yourself just by raising the jib, attaching the whisker pole to the jib. Then keeping the pole level extend it out and mark the spot on the mast that makes the pole horizontal to the water.

I did the 8' telescoping painters pole from Lowes, two small carabiners, and some small cord to attach the carabiners. The pole had a hole in the handle so I used that hole to make a small loop in the cord and attach the carabiner. The other end I just drilled a hole through and did the same loop and carabiner.

It stays on the floor of the cockpit, and snapped onto the cord across the front of the cubby entrance. I've seen others that attach it to the side of the boom to keep it out of the way. My homemade whisker pole works great and stores easily. It really gives you an advantage on long downwind runs, especially in racing.

-Robert
1989 Capri 14.2
1984 Catalina 22

Only way to go downwind fast. I love my whisker pole and wouldn't want to go downwind with out it.

Back