Question Aft Stanchion base

pvansch1

My boat has a double bale base. The port side one blew out where the spinnaker ratchet block was attached.
What is the proper angle stanchion base I need as a replacement?
Thank you, Pete

So what I can find is a Schaefer 36-01 which has as 5 degree angle versus 14 degree which is the original base.
What have people used to replace and will a few degrees make that much of a difference?

Kind of hard to imagine what you mean when you say it 'blew out'. You mean it exploded? Still hard to imagine! If some part of it broke, I would think a competent welding shop could fix it. I had broken stanchions or pulpits over the years, and they were repaired at local welding shops. Admittedly, the boat was in Annapolis, so that wasn't hard to find. :) I seriously doubt that there are 'off the shelf' stanchion bases that will be the correct angle for a J/24 deck.

Kind of hard to imagine what you mean when you say it 'blew out'. You mean it exploded? Still hard to imagine! If some part of it broke, I would think a competent welding shop could fix it. I had broken stanchions or pulpits over the years, and they were repaired at local welding shops. Admittedly, the boat was in Annapolis, so that wasn't hard to find. :) I seriously doubt that there are 'off the shelf' stanchion bases that will be the correct angle for a J/24 deck.
The bale broke on one side.
I need to replace the post as well. The hole is worn almost through.

Attachments

• PXL_20230722_193811877.jpg
    PXL_20230722_193811877.jpg
    699.1 KB · Views: 80
I'd call that a strut, but what do I know? It should be easily and inexpensively welded.

Not to be difficult, but what post and what hole? The only thing resembling a post is the stanchion, I think.

Stanchion post, the hole the life line runs through. Life life is uncoated wire so it has worn almost through the top of the stanchion

Attachments

• PXL_20230722_193814025.jpg
    PXL_20230722_193814025.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 70
My season is getting shortened because of a shoulder rotator cuff tear. Going through stuff that needs attention so I can line it all up for post surgery recoup and hit the sea full on next season.

OK. I didn't think of a stanchion as normally a wear part. Interesting! If you can find a welder, maybe you can get a new cap welded on your stanchion too. But you might find a used one of those. Lots of under-used (at the present) J/24s out there I think.

Good luck with the shoulder! I'm not envious.

Back