Blade Refinishing

LQT420

Hi,

Just got my hands on a used laser with some beat up blades. The Centerboard has a repair on it that needs sanding down. What grit should I use? Hopefully I'll get that done today.

Also, based on other threads that I have read on this subject, people have been using Krylon spray primer and paint to touch up their blades. My question is: what grit should I use before the spray primer and how many coats of primer should I use? Should I sand between the primer & finish paint? If yes than what grit? Finally for the finish coat (I think I'll be using the Krylon epoxy enamel) how many coats should I use?

I appreciate any help you may be able to provide.

Regards,

- Leon

The blades are pretty soft to start with. For basic sanding I do not use anything harded than 400 grit wet sanding paper. If you have a very rough patch get a sanding block and try 250 grit dry sanding, but I would not use anything more corse than that.

Leon,

It's all about how nicely you want to finsih your blades. I just did this before the 06/07 frostbiting season. For a real nice finish, start with 220 or 320 wet sandind and work your way up to 600 or 1000 grit. Between each coat you want to sand otherwise you'll have any bumps or imperfections magnified in the next coat. For sanding between coats 220 is fine because you want to have the finish a little rough so the next coat has something to adhere to.

I would use one or two coats of primer... basically however much it takes to get a nice coat on the blades, sanding between coats. Same deal with the final finish... one or two coats or until it looks really really nice, sanding in between and bringing the final sanding up to 1000 grit for a real smooth finish.

Props for using the little spayers. they do a great job. I use them at the sailing center I work at to do gelcoat repairs. What we do is thin down the mix with acetone. I'm not sure how well this will work with epoxy, but it does a phenomonal job with the gelcoat. What the acetone does is thin down the mix so it makes it real easy to do multiple thin coats of the mix and give us a really nice, near perfect finish with minimal sanding.

Hope this helps.....

Jon

Thanks,

Those were the exact directions I was looking for. I appreciate your help.

Regards,

- Leon

Back