Boom to Mast connection and gooseneck

NathalieA

IMG_7508.jpeg
IMG_7485.jpeg
Hello!

Just got a new to me Mod 3 this week end and trying to figure out the rigging… I read the manual and the majority of the posts (and nice online videos..) but still trying to figure out the connection between the boom and the mast. See photos attached. I understand it seems most people slide the gooseneck in the mast groove but I have something else on my mast too which is “preventing” the groove to widen and be able to slide the other part.
Does it mean I could just fasten the boom to this as it seems and no gooseneck? Thanks for the feedback and all the tips!

I have a 2015 Mod 3 with Selden spars. I have no idea what someone has inserted into the mast groove but it looks like a modification for another purpose, and the black "thing" should be removed from the mast. Below the existing black plastic sail slug feed is the fitting into which your boom gooseneck fits. Remove the pin in that fitting and the boom gooseneck fitting should fit into the slot where the pin was resting. Then slip the pin back through the boom gooseneck fitting top, through the gooseneck, and through the bottom boom gooseneck fitting. Flip the pin keeper end out to lock the pin so that it will not slide up and come out . The pin in your picture is actually inserted upside down. On the Selden spars the gooseneck fitting location on the mast is not adjustable up and down as it was in prior models; no sliding the gooseneck into a slot in the mast. I have a keeper line attached to the ring on the pin to keep it from being lost, just as I have a keeper line attached to the large cotter pin which keeps the bottom sail slug from sliding down to the black plastic feed guide. In your picture I see the hole in the mast through which the large cotter pin is inserted but don't see a cotter pin in the picture.
Because the gooseneck location is not adjustable I use a very small shackle to attach the main halyard to the head of the mainsail and needed to adjust the way the halyard was attached to the shackle so that I could pull the head of the mainsail as close to the top of the mast as possible. I can now get enough tension on the main halyard to keep tension in the front of the sail. I rarely use the cunningham to adjust the "belly" of the sail but could affect it by slightly loosening the main halyard.
I also have jiffy reefing set up along with reef points in the mainsail. In order to reef, the lower sail slug has to be allowed to slip out of the mast groove and the cotter pin reinserted.
I have not seen any amendments to the manual to reflect the change by Catalina to using Selden spars, hence the confusion over some of the connections etc.
Hope this helps!

Another thought, you may want to look at Selden's website to find examples of their booms, masts, and fittings. It helped me back in 2015 when I purchased the boat from Catalina. I was able to order it in the keel version so I am not dealing with a centerboard trunk, lifting lines, etc. Because we keep the boat in the water during the season, at our dock, and because I always single hand, I wanted the stability of the keel both while sailing and when docked. Enjoy!!!

Thank you so much! I will check the Selden’s site for sure. I think I got what you mean. Just not use the metal “black” gooseneck and just tie the boom with the pin where my finger is. Correct?
Also do you know what the kicker strap line may be for? Maybe related and the only one I am not sure from the manual
Thanks again

IMG_7515.jpeg

View attachment 56509View attachment 56510Hello!

Just got a new to me Mod 3 this week end and trying to figure out the rigging… I read the manual and the majority of the posts (and nice online videos..) but still trying to figure out the connection between the boom and the mast. See photos attached. I understand it seems most people slide the gooseneck in the mast groove but I have something else on my mast too which is “preventing” the groove to widen and be able to slide the other part.
Does it mean I could just fasten the boom to this as it seems and no gooseneck? Thanks for the feedback and all the tips!
I just put a boom kicker on my boat yesterday to keep the boom up when lowering the mainsail. What I found out was that the boom would pop out of the mast if not secured well. Your mast boom connection would solve that problem. I think the previous owner had a boom kicker and that's why it is setup like that. I didn't like using the boom kicker so I will probably take it off.

Yes, your small finger shows the location for attachment of the boom. I have not used a boom kicker either, just use the boom vang for additional downward control. However, I do have a topping lift installed which supports the boom when the mainsail is not raised. My topping lift is deadended at a fitting which was mounted on the starboard side of the mast just below the mast cap. It leads to a small block mounted on the starboard side and end of the boom and then runs forward to a small cleat mounted on the boom forward of the block, near the cleat which is used for the jiffy reefing. I am able to leave the line in place while sailing since it is tensioned to allow the boom to angle downward slightly when supporting the boom without the mainsail having been raised.

Back