Can't stay away from the 'fish!

stollie

Hey there y'all!
It's been a while. I hope everyone and families been doing relatively well thru these wacky times.

I made the mistake of selling my 2001 fish before coming to my senses and realizing it was the best boat for my situation. YOWLLLL!!!!

Anyway, good to be back on the forum, and am actively looking for a fish. If lady luck favors me, it'll be a similar one to what I had (2001 Vanguard) as I really like that wide single stripe going down the centerline. And this time it'll be a trailer like the Trailex SUT-220 so I can back right into the water.

Cheers,
stollie in NJ

Home base is the Shrewsbury River but I may head down to Barnegat on a weekday off from work, or up to Raritan Bay.

I'm in my early 60's and will probably seek out a couple of people to sail with, so I'm not always out there on my own. So let me know if you're up for company.

Oh, and if you or somebody you know is selling.

Thanks

Hi
I am near you in Rutherford, and I sail with the Hunterdon Sailing Club. Hunterdon Sailing Club – Sailing, sailboat racing and sailing lessons in Central New Jersey Mostly Sunfish sailors with a few force 5 and Flying Scott's as well. At least twice weekly Sunfish races ( I don't know if what I do can actually be called racing ) gives a chance to meet lots of people with the same interest and be able to sail safely with a safety boat always nearby. When you get your new boat consider stopping by

HSC is great, that where I learned to sail. Unfortunately it's a hike from the shore for me.

I am sailing at Brigantine Yacht club. I have 3 fish I keep there along with (for now) my Hunter 170. May move up to a Catalina 22 if something comes along. You are WAAAYYYY up north for me.

Not quite the season yet for boats showing up. I got 2 super deals on fish just by watching Facebook many times a day. First one was $50 and I caught it 5 minutes after it was posted. My second one was $200 (for a 2006) that needed some work. That was 15 mins after posting. The third one I got after seeing it laying beside a house when I was riding my bike. That was $300. They all needed some work, but were fairly decent. Oh and yes, they were exceptionally low cost, but I got lucky. I have seen some decent ones in the $500 range. Be picky if you go higher. Make sure screws are actually screwed into something. Last year there were 3 new to the club fish where the screws were not properly done and came out. The previous owners were just doing something to sell the boat, or so it seem. I also look on craigslist. Use SearchTempest to get a wider range in one search.

If you buy a fish from NY state they do not put titles on them there. So all you need is a bill of sale and you can title the boat when you bring it to NJ. Some people want them with titles so it might be worth the effort.

Thanks for the info, shorefun. You definitely have better search techniques than I do. I don't do facebook so that's out for me. All I do is search craigslist once in a while, so it's always a long shot for me. I'll look into SearchTempest as I'm not familiar with it.

I'm looking for a boat that doesn't need work, as my veggie gardening will take up the rest of my time. My last trailer I had made some nice bunks on a Bandit jet-ski trailer. This time I think a Trailex might serve me better, albeit at a cost, as I'm only 20 minutes from where I normally put in, in Oceanport.

For face book you can make up something that avoids giving personal information. Honestly, FB is the place now for buying and selling. Ebay with their fees and return rules have driven a lot of people out and into facebook.

Do not fear FB, just carefully set it up just to do marketplace.

Alan - yes Sir, I love that style. Shame it's so far away. My previous fish had blue in place of that red. I also saw an older posting in SC, where the red & white on deck was reversed and that boat was gorgeous. I'd never seen that color scheme before.

Shorefun - thanks for the FB tip. It just ain't my bag, no matter how it's sliced.

Back