casual sailing?

kriss said:
can the laser be used for a "daysail" as opposed to being used as a racing boat?

Sure it can. I go out and cruise around in mine by myself all the time. It helps to have an inspection port for storage of food and water and a dinghy smock.

kriss said:
can the laser be used for a "daysail" as opposed to being used as a racing boat?

Definitely! My Laser has been used recreationally that way for years. It's nice to cruise around the lake, visit neighbors, and remember how well she did in regattas in the 1970s. When I meet up with another Laser or a Force Five, it's not unusual to engage in an informal sprint race.

Barry

Attachments

• 255.jpg
    255.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 53
did that thing drift loose and you brilliantly spur of the moment grabbed a camera for the photo or did you pose the boat??

This casual sailing stuff was addressed years ago on the Laser email list a by Laserbabee aka Rebecca Mandeville.

The postings:
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 02:31:27 EDT
To: [email protected]
Subject: Why is sailing so good?

I have been sailing for several months now - and excuse my naivete - but I eat, sleep, dream this stuff. Someone, please explain. Is this an addiction?
[FONT=courier, chicago]Butch
blak.gif
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, geneva]Dear Butch,

[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, geneva]This is a slightly off-color answer but... here are eighteen reasons why casual sailing is better than casual sex:
18. You don't have to sneak your sail magazines into the house.
17. If you are having trouble with sailing, it's perfectly acceptable to pay a professional to show you how to improve your technique.
16. The Ten Commandments don't say anything about sailing.
15. If your partner takes pictures or videotapes of you sailing, you don't have to worry about them showing up on the Internet when you become famous.
14. Your sailing partner won't keep asking questions about other partners you've sailed with.
13. It's perfectly respectable to sail with a total stranger.
12. When you see a really good sailor, you don't have to feel guilty about imagining the two of you sailing together.
11. If your regular sailing partner isn't available, he/she won't object if you go sailing with someone else.
10. Nobody will ever tell you that you can go blind if you sail by yourself.
9. When dealing with a sailing pro, you never have to wonder if they are really an undercover cop.
8. You don't have to go to a sleazy shop in a seedy neighborhood to buy sailing stuff.
7. You can have a sailing calendar on your wall at the office, tell sailing jokes and invite coworkers to sailing with you without getting sued for harassment.
6. There's no such thing as a sail transmitted disease.
5. If you want to watch sailing on television, you don't have to subscribe to a premium cable channel.
4. Nobody expects you to promise to sail with just one partner for the rest of your life.
3. Nobody expects you to give up sailing if your partner loses interest in the sport.
2. You don't have to be a newlywed to plan a vacation primarily for the enjoyment of sailing.
1. Your sailing partner will never say, "What? We just sailed last week! Is that all you ever think about?

Rebecca

[/FONT]

I feel like im addictid to sailing to sometimes. but yah a laser is great for casual sailing but depending on your body size it might become a handful when the winds pick up.

The kids know how to have fun. At our club you often see them cruising with 3 or more onboard at a time (including one sat on the bow, great for boat speed). :)

gouvernail said:
did that thing drift loose and you brilliantly spur of the moment grabbed a camera for the photo or did you pose the boat??

No, my Laser wasn't drifting loose. It was tied to a Clorox bottle buoy about 20 feet from shore. I'll do that when I plan to sail again later in the day.

I took that picture about three years ago in the late afternoon. The boat looked so nice out there I couldn't resist.

Barry

Back