Check out this boat I'm looking at buying

doehunter

It's in the Dallas Texas CL.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/boa/3081492304.html

Lots of extras. One thing I'm confused about.
He says he has sails for, standard, radial, 4.7.
He says he has "Spar base (plus spare) and all Upper Mast Extensions."
I looked on line and the upper section is the same for all versions, the lower section changes.
Was there an older version that has it the other way?

He says it's an older boat but there is a sticker over the vin number so I don't know what year it is.
Good deal?

Based on the color my guess is 1980's? I once had a yellow Laser from the '80s but the sail number was 88XXX. If the sail number in the photo is right the boat might be even older.

If you check the boat out, check out all the spars. His "spar base (plus spare)" could be the full rig bottom in the photo plus the radial bottom (and if you're lucky the 4.7 bottom). If it has three good top sections then that would be a bonus. The boom looks a little suspect with the way the aft block was thru-bolted but if it's solid then you're probably fine.

If the sails are good, all the spars are there and the blades are decent considering the dolly & trailer that might be a reasonable price (assuming the hull is in good shape of course).

That yellow was available in the 70's as well, had one that was a '75 build, sail number was in the 48000's

Only way you are going to get to the real sail number/ year built is to expose the hull id number on the transom.

While the listing has a lot of pieces, whether it's a good deal or not depends on the condition of the spars, hull and blades, and if you need them all or are planning to part it out and keep just what you need.

He's got to tell you the hull id number. In addition to the other good thoughts the condition of the hull is key. No leaks, sound mast step, no soft spots on the hull or deck.

This price range or even a little less should get a functional and sound boat / trailer in the 8 to 12 year old age range.

He says there's no soft spots, and hull is sound. (I just bought an F5 and it's owner said the same thing. Now I'm repairing the mast step in it!)
All the spars are supposed to be straight. 2 of the sails are new, like not used at all. I asked if they were aftermarket, he says they are OEM, Laser class legal.
I can use the extra parts. This will be a 2nd Laser for us. One of my kids is pretty light, maybe 145 lbs. My daughter is just learning and will like the smaller rig too. I'm kinda heavy @ 230 lbs, so I like the full rig, and of course the F5 cause it carries a little more sail.
As soon as I can get free, I need to just drive up there and look for my self. (assuming someone doesn't get there 1st)
Thanks for all the input

Hey yall!
I gave up on the CL listing in Dallas.
I finally found an old boat in Galveston Tx. $500.00.
It has 5 port holes installed. The only obvious repair work to me is the bottom of the mast step has been re-glassed, and the hull has been painted I think.
I have looked pretty close and I can't find a VIN number on the transom, so I can't tell if it was covered up, or was never there.
The whole deck is solid. The mast is a little too tight in the bottom of the mast step. I need to investigate that.
I sailed it last Saturday and it did OK. Didn't even leak!

Attachments

• IMG_1001.JPG
    IMG_1001.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
You can over think a $500 boat. If it's solid and didn't leak sailing what more can you want?

Ahhhh that beautiful Galveston beach!

Actually I was comparing it to my other Laser that set me back, 1500. I think I got the most bang for my buck on the cheap one!
Last Saturday I went out with my youngest son. He sailed the nice white one in the pic, and I sailed the $500 blue one and got spanked! (course he's roughly 75 lbs lighter than me)
I just received a new Intensity sail today, so next time we go, I make him carry the cooler and I get the new sail.
That ought to even things up!

After looking at several older boats and all of them having soft decks I almost gave up looking.
This goes to show, they're out there. Just gotta be patient.

Back