Clew Sleeve

Craiger

I just installed the Clew Sleeve and tried it out at the Beer Can Races last night. I liked being able to quickly attach and disconnect the sail, but I could not get the sleeve to tighten the sail while out on the lake. It would slide to allow more depth in the sail, but no matter how hard I pulled I could not get it to stretch the sail out again. It was fairly light wind, so it was not wind resistance. Back at the clubhouse someone said my sheet was not slick enough and it was creating too much resistance at the fairlead on the end of the boom.

Is the problem the line or do I need a block at the fairlead as well?

The outhaul line must run through the fair lead (as a moving line) at least once. 3.f.ii

This is a common problem with the clew sleeve which is why many people prefer the velcro strap arrangement which does not suffer from this issue and is significantly cheaper.

I don't know if you tried mclube. I just bought a can and man did it make
My boom slick!! I also sprayed the fair lead to make that slippery also.

You'll want to use a slippery line like spectra or dyneema as the primary on your outhaul. This will help it slide through the fairlead.

When I used one in the past, I found it would bind if the force applied by the inhaul shockcord was not evenly pulling from both sides. However you said it releases fine, so this is may not be the issue.

Notice I said "used one in the past". I agree you should deep-six the sleeve and use a velcro strap.

Back