Clyde

Clyde

I have an older Sunfish which has developed serious blisters on the hull. How do I proceed to repair this problem?

If not too severe, I'd probably just grind out the old defects and mix a batch of "balloon" resin and sand smooth.

The problem, though, is intriguing. I've heard of powerboats with blisters below the waterline, but this is a new one on me. Is it a factory Sunfish? :confused:

1) Are the blisters in the fiberglass or under a layer(or layers) of old paint? Top, bottom, or both?

2) Is the boat stored and/or floating near other boats with anodes to protect metal parts? Near a residential ground? Any electrical source or near a marina, and did this just occur?

3) Have you been power-washing it?

4) Are we talking salt water or fresh?

Obviously, this has my full attention. :eek:

Thanks for your reply.

It is a factory Sunfish, circa 1976.

Boat has been touched up, not painted, so blisters are in gelcoat.

Boat is in fresh water, in my slip with my powerboat, other power boats (i.e. with shore power) are nearby.

I leave the 'fish in the water for 9 to 10 months a year. When I pulled the boat out a couple of days ago there was some water in the hull but it not bad.

Any further suggestions? I probably will not leave the boat in the water in the future.

Back