Cunningham Install Question 6-1

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a little advice.

Currently running the classic-style 1-1 Cunningham. Down from the grommet, through the little eyelet and back to the traveler style cleat.

Wanted to upgrade to the 6-1 system. Do I need to replace the eyelet or traveller cleat on the deck or can I just add the block to the sail and to the tang and be done with it?

Cheers
Colin

You only need the new cleats and blocks on the deck if you want to run the outhaul down to the deck also.

The outhaul led to the deck is a nice feature.

Hi,

Your standard setup is 2:1, so cascading a 3 line set-up makes it 6:1. This is legal and easy. Use a block w/becket on top, regular block on the bottom. Hugh improvement, for just (20 bucks in the US).

The Harken clew hook, (or a shackel) and two blocks gets you a nicer outhaul. One more block and you can lead it to the deck thru the c-ham eye, but still using the old cleat. Then you get the quick release advantage of the hook, plus you can trim the outhaul from the deck, and release it the old way.

The vang, with 2-3 blocks gets you to 9:1 or 12:1, like Scheidt uses, is the biggest advantage, I'd say.

Note: all the old cleats work easier due to lighter loads in the cleated lines.
We call this whole set-up the "100 buck upgrade" (in the US) and really helps equalise the old boats.

Al Russell 182797

1:1 to 6:1 requires an additional advantage to what Al suggested. You also need to tie the block with a becket through the eye on the sail back down to the vang tang or to the top of anouther block with a becket. Tying the block at the bottom with a bowline around the mast and tang or tang itself will hold it there. The new Vang incorporates the block making it easier.

Good luck.

Steve.

Back