daggerboard front side question....again

mixmkr

my daggerboard looks like this. .. ALMOST looks .symmetrical so to speak. I'm guessing in the pic the right side is the trailing edge?
When I got the boat, ('69) it had been sitting in the water for two years with the board down. Needless to say, I had to flip the boat and forcefully push the board out...(with a little persuasion). I then lightly sanded the board, etc etc... and it fits "best" with the clip on starboard.. So I use it that way...ha! Kinda dictates my front edge. But I know there has been discussion on the other boards. In thispic, I'm guessing the clip would go on port??

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 60
While I'm inclined to disagree :oops: it has been written here that the daggerboard can be used in either direction without loss of performance. (Thereby, the clip-spring can face either starboard or port). The newest plastic daggerboard has rave reviews here.

My Porpoise II had a big arrow on top that put the clip-spring to port. That puts the tallest edge (observed vertically) taper to the bow. Your daggerboard may have two different profiles on the edges. IMO, the "round" edge should be forward, and the more "pointy" edge to the rear. (If you can tell). :confused:

P8230008-001_zpsfwon2v3f.jpg

My longest daggerboard (Porpoise II) appears to be similar to yours—but "full bodied". That direction is confirmed by repeated trailing edge damage from the previous owner's racing "errors" by hitting the beach with the board fully down. :rolleyes:

Although the daggerboard later developed a "cup", and became difficult to move (especially when soaked), I prefer it to my other two daggerboards. I fixed the "cup" by removing the wood grip, and replacing it with an angle-steel "handle". It got a short 5/16" diameter line run through a PVC pipe section to pull it up. (Making the daggerboard longer in the process :cool: ).

Last edited:
I also have a 1969 Sunfish and use the original daggerboard. The leading edge goes straight down, with the clip on the port side. The leading edge is rounded over, the trailing edge is more of a (very dull) knife edge.

Even Sunfish materials show them both ways. We put the rounded edge forward in case we run over something, then maybe the board will ride over it vs smack it at a 90 degree angle or grind off a tip.

Back