Daggerboard Slot

LQT420

Hi,

I just got a new racing daggerboard. I know that my old wooden daggerboard used to vibrate a lot in the daggerboard slot. Is it legal to pad the front and rear edge of the daggerboard slot with material in order to reduce the vibration and to protect the front and trailing edge of my new racing daggerboard within the in the slot? I was thinking of using 1/8 inch neoprene fabric. Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.

As far as I know that is legal. I know that a lot of people put carpet strips on the sides of the trunk. The viborations wont hurt your boats performance that much, all it really does is make the noise.

from the ISCA rules http://www.sunfishclass.org/admin/ISCA_Regs/isca_class_rules03012003.htm

"3.1.8 Sanding and smoothing of the daggerboard trunk is permitted. Anti-chafe material may be added in the daggerboard trunk solely to protect the construction and finish of the daggerboard. Any material may be added to the sides of the daggerboard trunk to improve the fit of the daggerboard. There shall be at least 2 inches without the added material on each side of the trunk from top to bottom. Material shall not protrude above the deck or below the hull. Gaskets or flaps are prohibited. No changes or additions may be made that create a jibing board."

As I remember things, Rememebr you're dealing with a slightly senile dsylexic here, at a regional meet there was a big "discussion/fight' over that was sides ans what was front & back as only the sides did the material have to stop before the bottom and we were getting boards scratched up front and baclk from the bottom lip. He ruled then the material could extent to the bottom of the well for no more than 1 inch from the front and the same from tha back. To do it all around effectivevly formed a gasket/flap as as such was illegal

Back