Deck & mast-step repair question...

GeoffS

Hi,

There's a boat owned by the UW sailing club with a pretty damaged deck around the mast-step (I don't have a photo or the hull-number, yet). The mast-step tube appears to be present (at least from the deck level), but I don't know if it's been damaged below deck. The deck for about 6-8" around the mast-step is torn up badly. Much of the upper fiberglass skin is missing, exposing the core. The boat's been stored semi-protected from the weather for a couple of years.

My specific questions are:
1) What is the material and thickness of the core material used in this area of the boat?
2) What is the fiberglass layup I should use for the upper skin?

My plan is to check the boat for any other damage that would render it a write-off, then cleanly cut away the upper skin of the deck around the mast-step area far enough out to get to undamaged core. Next clean out the bad core, and rebuild the deck with a new core and top skin (bonding to the mast step, etc.). Of course, I'll also check the mast-step tube bonding to the "donut" on the lower hull, etc. Finally, gelcoat the whole area (probably the entire deck).

The club has a complete fiberglass shop, so the work won't be expensive (basically materials only), so I'm hoping to add another sailable hull to our micro-fleet for less than $100.

In addition to my specific questions, any suggestions are welcome, either here or via e-mail. I didn't see anything about this magnitude mast-step repair on DrLaser, but if there's an article there, or anyplace else, please drop me a reference.

Cheers,

Geoff Sobering
Laser 145234/DN US 5156/Renegade 510
sobering(-at-)mailbag(-dot-)com

Airex is the core, I believe it's 1/2" thick

You'll get a better idea of the layup when you cut out the damaged area, but at a minimum I would use something like the Double Bias with Mat sold by Fiberglass Coatings in St Pete. Fiberglass Coatings web site
Click on the catalog button and select Fiberglass (I don't think they carry Airex foam, but I think you can get that from Defender Industries, or ask the tech folks at FCGI if klegecell is an acceptable substitute)

Having said all that, other then the cost, why not use the mast tube / deck replacement kit offered by Laser ? It sounds like the deck has a lot of damage and this is certainly an easier, faster and most likely stronger method to fix it.

Thanks for the info on the core and layup.

Originally posted by 49208
[...]Having said all that, other then the cost, why not use the mast tube / deck replacement kit offered by Laser ? It sounds like the deck has a lot of damage and this is certainly an easier, faster and most likely stronger method to fix it.
I'm thinking of it. Cost is one issue; also, I'm considering using this repair as part of a boat-repair teaching session (I hesitate to call it a "class"), and doing things "from the ground up" would be better from a teaching/learning perspective.

I've only seen pictures of the kit, so I don't know how well it would cover the damaged area. Having a brand-new mast tube would be really great. On the other hand, I think we can do the repair (even if we have to build a new mast tube) for well under the $300 that the repair kit costs.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

I would suggest buying a new mast step. I recently bought one for one of my Lasers and it worked wonderfully. If you build your own you will most likely make mistakes, it wouldn't be as strong. Is it class legal to build your own?

Back