Ducking the Boom

how many of you sunfish sailors are heavy and can't get low enough to easily duck the boom?Besides lowering your halyard on the upper boom are there any styles, that work well when tacking or jibing?Leaning back seems to work a little, but have trouble, with tiller and mainsheet cross over.

Moving the gooseneck forward (on the boom) will also make it easier to duck the boom without harming your skull.
A 'typical' setting is 16" from the front

Thanks
how many of you sunfish sailors are heavy and can't get low enough to easily duck the boom?Besides lowering your halyard on the upper boom are there any styles, that work well when tacking or jibing?Leaning back seems to work a little, but have trouble, with tiller and mainsheet cross over.

how high should the lower boom be off the deck at the mast, I ask because I see alot of pictures where it is say 12 inches or so from the deck, but at my club both of the sunfish have the lower boom about 24 inches above deck

Attachments

• sunfishmike.jpg
    sunfishmike.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 53
how high should the lower boom be off the deck at the mast, I ask because I see alot of pictures where it is say 12 inches or so from the deck, but at my club both of the sunfish have the lower boom about 24 inches above deck

Eight inches or so is plenty high. A foot is really pushing it.
Have a look at Scott Kyle's Sunfish tuning guide (I can't seem to insert links, but Google ' Kyle sunfish tuning guide' for his terrific article).

I posted the picture of my son on one of the club's sunfish, how come the boom sits soo high? Is it rigged wrong or is the mast wrong?

That picture shows how some people rig the boat for recreational sailing, especially when you have a second person aboard. It is also used when teaching groups of kids on a Sunfish. But racers never ever have the rig that high.

One of the nice features of the Sunfish is that one can play with several settings and adjust them according to the situation.

so basically the person who rigged it has the halyard attaching too high on the upper spar??

so basically the person who rigged it has the halyard attaching too high on the upper spar??
they actually have the halyard lower. this pulls the sail up higher. if you want to rig the sail lower to the deck, you need to move the halyard attachment on the upper spar a little bit higher up the spar.

I'm a newbie, so take everything with a HUGE grain of salt, but ... I've seen Craigslists, Google pics, and even a couple of club members with higher booms on their Sunfish. I'm small and short, but the tall guy in our Sunfish lessons ducked under his boom pretty well by sheeting tight and using a guiding hand ... at least that's what he said. I'm basically jockey sized, but I had problems with the boom on tacking, because I didn't sheet in tight enough as it passed over. Two lessons later, I was sheeting too tight and having steering problems coming after a tack .. go figure! :rolleyes:

We're looking at Sunfishes as they pop up on Craigslist (not many) and we came across one that looked crazy high, which started our Google searching to see what the heck was up.

When you experts say "16 inches forward," what exactly do you mean? My visual of forward means you put the mast 16 inches forward, not the gooseneck 16 inches higher. In our lessons, we'd hoist the sail as high or tight as it would go, and it definitely didn't feel like 16 inches. Do you do something different with the gooseneck? It was basically a loose metal ring around the mast for us.

here is a picture of my gooseneck area - the 16" is the distance measured on the lower spar from the tack of the sail (the end of the metal on the lower spar where the 2 spars connect). I have mine marked with a magic marker in 1" increments from 16" to 23" - right now it is sitting right at about 17".

gooseneck.jpg

if you don't already have one, it is well worth it to buy an quick-release bolt for your gooseneck. that way you can quickly adjust the setting of the gooseneck (without having to carry a screwdriver on board). to install the quick-release bolt, you will probably have to drill out/enlarge the current threaded hole.

as minifish2 mentioned above, the Tuning Guide by Scott Kyle is very good tips for setting up your Sunfish. it is geared towards racers, but most of the tips apply pretty well for recreational sailing, too.

cheers,
tag

I'm a newbie, so take everything with a HUGE grain of salt, but ... I've seen Craigslists, Google pics, and even a couple of club members with higher booms on their Sunfish. I'm small and short, but the tall guy in our Sunfish lessons ducked under his boom pretty well by sheeting tight and using a guiding hand ... at least that's what he said. I'm basically jockey sized, but I had problems with the boom on tacking, because I didn't sheet in tight enough as it passed over. Two lessons later, I was sheeting too tight and having steering problems coming after a tack .. go figure! :rolleyes:

There's no need to sheet in during the tack. Generally speaking, one should be fully sheeted in and sail close hauled (for a Sunfish this is about 45-50 degrees off the wind) prior to tacking. More experienced sailors will roll-tack the boat under certain conditions. Again, depending on the conditions, racers may actually sheet out a bit during the tack to power up after the tack.

Keeping the head/body appropriately low is a must, obviously. Also make sure your clothing (PFD) doesn't get caught by the sheet during the tack.

forgive the ignorance of the newbie questions, what does having the boom lower to the deck acomplish. I did read kyles guide, thanks for that very useful, but in it they really did not touch on the difference of running a high or low boom, only of gooseneck position which you also touched on. I am a big guy so a higher boom might make my life easier, but at the same time I want to understand the tradeoff, if it means I will lose speed in lower wind then I would not do it.

forgive the ignorance of the newbie questions, what does having the boom lower to the deck acomplish. I did read kyles guide, thanks for that very useful, but in it they really did not touch on the difference of running a high or low boom, only of gooseneck position which you also touched on. I am a big guy so a higher boom might make my life easier, but at the same time I want to understand the tradeoff, if it means I will lose speed in lower wind then I would not do it.

Kyle includes a chart for ideal gooseneck height above the deck in his article, in Section V - Halyards.

Lower is faster, to the point that it does not impede. I'm over 200 pounds and I set mine a just a bit higher than tag, in his picture above, but with my weight I also have convinced myself that I can set my gooseneck a bit more forward than tad does, and the boat seems balanced for me, at least on light to medium air. Just having the gooseneck a couple of of inches forward (vs tad's) dramatically raises the boom where I'm sitting. But of course I still have to duck when tacking.

The lower rig setting is fast, so try for it. The center of effort of the boat is lower, plus less wind passes below the rig. I'll let my Sunfish physics professor friend fill in the rest for you, since if I say anything on the subject he'll probably groan - I'll make the introductions if you are ever sailing in the east. But under one foot is faster than having it up a foot or two.

thanks, I am picking up a sunfish this weekend so I can actually set it as i want. Our club does have two we can use, but in all honesty, they do not keep up the boats to my standards which drives me nuts. Plus it is kind of a pain to mess with all the settings on a boat that is not mine. anyway I will pick mine up on sat, and plan n having it in the water by sunday late morning!!!

Reactions: tag
Wavedancer, forgive my terminology ... by "sheeting in," I mean sheeting in right before I tack. I tend to lump the pre-tack, tacking, after-tack steps into one label.

tag, the photo helped on what you mean by moving the gooseneck. We're on club boats for now, so we wouldn't be able to adjust. I haven't measured to see where they are sitting, but I'd say the booms sit pretty low. Our big guy kind of squats in the pilot as he's ducking under.

So a lower boom = faster, but does it also make the boat less stable, sort of like how an SUV has a higher center of gravity?

Back