First Sail of 2014 season

minas man

The tides were right and the winds gentle for a pleasant first sail of the season. Water is still cold at 50 degrees F or 10 Celsius.

Reactions: tag
That was cool! Thanks for sharing.

I don't know which part was my favorite...

- The (custom?) window on your sail
- The ski pole handle at the end of your tiller extension
- Or the micro, asymmetrical spinnaker at the tippy top of your upper boom/yard. :D

Your Wolfville Harbour area reminds me of the marsh areas I used to sail when I was growing up in Massachusetts. It's fun to sail all the twist and turns... and have to finesse your way along when the wind is light but the current is strong.

You must get quite the large tidal rise and fall up where you live!

- Andy

That window is useless and in the wrong spot Niel Pryde and the material is barely see through. It is a great tiller extension and have posted on how to make one for yourself. I was in such a rush to get sailing I neglected my Canadian flag atop of the mast. The flag serves as a tel so I was missing it on this trip out and unwilling to come in and fix it as cuts into the sailing time.
I have my new flag for the season but saving it for when I put on my new racing sail with the a proper window.
Yes we have heavy currants as it is tidal river. The tidal range is 50 feet vertical so it is always a challenge. All the water you see is gone twice a day and over miles of mud flats.
Thanks for you comments Andy it is nice to know that others have experienced the fun of sailing tidal rivers and estuary's.

Minas man

Just to clarify that the Niel Pryde sail is a good sail but I was not happy with the window material and the placement and would not recommend this type of window. You just can.t see through it.

Minas man

Our favorite part was the smile :)

What program lets you do the slide show?

Thanks for sharing the pics!

K

Can't help but smile on the first outing of the season with beautiful conditions. My friend does the videos so ask him on you tube. The style " Ken Burns effect" so you can look up him and you will find a program.

Minas man

Back