Fixing pins holding the hiking strap and the mainsheet

Trap Jaw

In a Laser Standard sailboat (30+ years old) I tore out the pins holding the hiking strap and mainsheet. These pins were metal expansion dowels that corroded over time and just "jumped out". I attach a picture.

There are four holes where the strap and the mainsheet were attached with two pins. The two metal pins in the photo are the result of a quick on-site repair attempt (they do not fit, I will remove them). I do not know if there were originally four holes or two, and the other two holes were "added" by a previous owner.

I was thinking of using metal expansion dowels but then the whole thing would be held with two dowels. Wouldn't it be better to mount the whole thing with four, not two, dowels, maybe adding a metal element with a permanently welded "eyelet" on top for attaching the hiking strap and the mainsheet?

Do you have any suggestions on what to do and what not? This dinghy is not meant to be a "legal racing dinghy" but a learn-and-have-fun dinghy.

(forgive my English and the sailing terms, it's not my main language).

Best,
J

Attachments

• laser pins.jpeg
    laser pins.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 82
In a Laser Standard sailboat (30+ years old) I tore out the pins holding the hiking strap and mainsheet. These pins were metal expansion dowels that corroded over time and just "jumped out". I attach a picture.

There are four holes where the strap and the mainsheet were attached with two pins. The two metal pins in the photo are the result of a quick on-site repair attempt (they do not fit, I will remove them). I do not know if there were originally four holes or two, and the other two holes were "added" by a previous owner.

I was thinking of using metal expansion dowels but then the whole thing would be held with two dowels. Wouldn't it be better to mount the whole thing with four, not two, dowels, maybe adding a metal element with a permanently welded "eyelet" on top for attaching the hiking strap and the mainsheet?

Do you have any suggestions on what to do and what not? This dinghy is not meant to be a "legal racing dinghy" but a learn-and-have-fun dinghy.

(forgive my English and the sailing terms, it's not my main language).

Best,
J
My boat has (I added them) two inspection ports beside the centerboard trunk. Going in through those, I was able to install stainless through-bolts for the hiking strap and mainsheet block.

Thanks @Eyeper , that's actually a great idea, I didn't think of it. Where exactly did you cut the inspection ports and how did you secure them? I don't know how the Laser looks inside, I wouldn't want to cut anything vital :)

Here's a photo of my inspection ports. They are standard marine items and after you cut the holes they attach with a series ring of little nuts and bolts. While I was in there, I also added fiberglass reinforcement around the centerboard trunk. Note from the photo, I don't race, either. My Laser is sometimes used as a camping SUV.

Attachments

• Laser Inspection ports.jpg
    Laser Inspection ports.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 83

Back