forming practice/racing group in South Florida

Sunray

Hello!!

I mistakenly put this in another section in this forum....

Even as I write this...I have no Laser...I am going to get one for the start of Feb. (as the storage location I have states that for the Orange bowl --plus 2 weeks at the end of January-- I have to remove my boat ((unless I am in the races))...so Feb. is a good starting point.

The purpose of this thread is to try to get a bunch of folks (who live a reasonable distance from Coconut grove) to get together for informal practices/manic racing and just good all-round camraderie and fun. I know that I'll meet most of you as I get more involved with sailing...but it would be interesting to meet a few people, by way of this forum, who would be into helping each other get better at racing this boat.

I am 46 years old and will be joining the Master class. I have not sailed a boat in 20 years ( well, my brother and I took out a j-24 and had it ripping around bouys in no time!!) but I know I'll have a fast learning curve with the Laser. When I buy the boat I intend to take 2 weeks and sail the stuffing out of it.

I had a contact with Michelle 'something --I think I still have your e-mail response to me...so I WILL be calling you!!:)

I stopped by the sailing center a few days ago and talked to a young group of boys from my college town --Toronto--they were from the Ontario sailing team and I watched lasers for the first time--launching and sailing away....very cool, indeed.....

I'll make a list of all who might be interested, and, with the permission of all, pass the list around so we can meet each other at some point....at the very least so we have a larger pool of people with which to have match races......

I understand that there are Wednesday night races somewhere---can't remember if that was with the coconut grove sailing school ----or where???

At any rate, If there is anyone out there who would like to introduce themselves please don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Even if you live a fair distance away, still contact me because if you ever come down to the Miami Area you would have a group to contact!!!!

That's about it...

[email protected]
305-538-6261

Sunray,

Meka has worked to setup a District 13 Laser website/email list to help us in Florida communicate about these things. You might want to sign up for it. It is at:
http://d13.laserforum.org

Then you can post and possibly reach more D13 sailors. This email list is new, but I know that there is a fair number of D13 sailors on it.

Cindy Taylor

i think your thinking of the coconut grove sailing club. yah did you see the ontario guys at the orange bowl. that is one heck of an event but there was absolutley no wind for 3 out of 4 days.

Cindy Taylor said:
Sunray,

Meka has worked to setup a District 13 Laser website/email list to help us in Florida communicate about these things. You might want to sign up for it. It is at:
http://d13.laserforum.org

Then you can post and possibly reach more D13 sailors. This email list is new, but I know that there is a fair number of D13 sailors on it.

Cindy Taylor

Thanks Cindy. I will sign up for it when I end this post. Meka (Taulbee?) if that's who you mean, e-mailed me when I sent out e-mails looking for a Laser a week ago or so....small world..

Ray

sailor327 said:
i think your thinking of the coconut grove sailing club. yah did you see the ontario guys at the orange bowl. that is one heck of an event but there was absolutley no wind for 3 out of 4 days.

Yep. I went to the sailing center and it was packed with all kinds of sailboats. I guess the last few weeks of Jan. are very busy with regattas of all types. I think Jose Hernandez runs things there (for Lasers)...I will clue in, but let me buy a boat first!!!!!

Thanks

Back