Good morning from a soon to be laser owner!

Biggestnacho

Hi sailors,
I am not new to sailing, but am very interested in the laser class.
I've been sailing the Melges 20 & 24 for the past five years as crew, and would now like to start my own "campaign" on a laser.
I'm 184cm (6ft. something) and weigh 70Kg (155lbs). Which rig would you recommend for me?
I might still gain some weight but not too much, which could be a factor too.
In Thailand I have been sailing the laser with a standard rig in winds up to 17 knots in gusts and was reasonably able to keep it flat, but the hull (17x xxx) is extremely used and kept on the wet beach over the years. This could mean that somehow not enough power is generated, but I don't know.
I would be planning to get an old laser for now in the sub 1,500€ price category.
Thanks!

I agree, full rig plus more muscle weight. I think your height will help with getting more hiking force outward.

Yeah, at 6ft you are already too big for a Radial. Full rig all the way. You are a bit light, but your height will help offset that. Learn to hike hard, and you will kick ass on the race course.

Melges are fun especially in planning conditions, it will be an easy transition for you

+1 You'll be fine with a full rig, used boats can be pretty fast, you can likely find one in much better shape that the one you've been sailing

Thanks for all the replies, I'll be looking for a standard rig. However I did have quite a few problems yesterday downwind not capsizing in gusty conditions (10 knots normal wind, gusts up to 18kts)... But I hope that I just need more practice

Back