How to wash your laser sail?

Hi,
I would wash the sail as few as possilbe. If I would have to, I would use a lot of water and a smoth sponge and perhaps some mild dishwashing liquid.

It depends why you need to wash the sail, generally my sails are never washed from normal usage. If the day has left the sail with a thick crust of salt, I might spray the sail while it's still fully rigged. I will wash off any mud the top of the sail and in the process use a scrubbing brush. But I've never washed the sail with soap or any chemical cleaner.

As for the the getting a replacement coat of resin onto the sail, I suspect that it would not be legal as the coating is likely to change the properties of the sail away from what the sail ever was.

Changing a soiled uncompetitive old sail into a cleaner uncompetitive sail that's slightly less raggy but still has a floppy leech is illegal? Nothing of the sail shape or properties (compared to original) has been altered. But if this is illegal, then polishing the gelcoat of an oxidized hull should also be illegal unless you can prove it is no slicker than what left the factory.

The class rules specifically permit the use of polish on the hull for the purpose of polishing the hull. The class rules do not specifically permit the recoating of the sail with resin. Case closed IMO.

Back