ILCA/Laser to RS Aero

jelfish

Has anyone on the board moved into an RS Aero and if so; (1) your impression of the boat (2) is a fleet building within close proximity so you can class race. (3) If new where did you buy your boat from and would you recommend them. (4) was it shipped to you and if so did that work ok. Reason for all the questions is I am a Sunfish sailor and want to move into another boat. ILCA is the obvious choice but the Aero looks interesting. Thanks for any input/opinions. Cheers.

Attachments

• AERO.JPG
    AERO.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 68
I have sailed an Aero while on vacation; can answer the first two questions.
1. Compared to a Laser, it's a lot lighter in weight. Therefore quite sensitive to what you are doing but no snagging of the main sheet while jibing. There are at least three rig sizes; so you can pick the one that fits you best. Recovery from a capsize is harder than with a Laser. I was told that one has to crawl in from the stern.
2. There are no Aero fleets in my neck of the woods (mid Atlantic), but there are some elsewhere in the USA.

PS: I should add that I sail both Lasers and Sunfish competitively (and for fun); hence an Aero isn't going under my Christmas tree, but it is definitely a nice boat; more up-to-date with respect to 'technology' than the other two.

Thanks, Wavedancer. Appreciate your feedback. More than likely I will go with a Laser as there are more in Colorado racing. Despite there being a number of Sunfish in the state no one races them so in any regatta I am portsmouth with a mis-mash of boats. Besides we picked up a Sunfish for the grandkids to learn how to sail (which they love as we all did when we learned on Sunfish) but it is kinda of beat up and not that competitive a boat. The appeal of the Aero is as you mentioned is the weight and technology. Thanks again !!

Check out a blog named "Proper Course" by Tillerman. He is, or was, a Laser masters sailor who bought an Aero several years ago. He seems quite happy with the boat, but he does have an active fleet nearby. He started a new blog about the Aero at some point, but I can't find it.

I would hit him up over at SA.

Check out a blog named "Proper Course" by Tillerman.
He started a new blog about the Aero at some point, but I can't find it.
Proper Course hasn’t been upated for more than four years.
Aerobian.com is offline.
Aerobian’s Facebook page hasn’t been updated for almost two years, which was roughly when he last logged on this forum.

Is Tillerman ok?

_

He still posts over at SA a little bit. And even if a few years old, Proper Course has some entries on Laser vs. Aero.

I raced Lasers extensively for 25 years then bailed and bought an Aero in 2015.
Raced the Aero in the USA and Europe for several years trying to build fleet growth in the USA west.
There only a few pockets of Aero fleets around the USA.
Gave up and sold Aero in 2018.
Raced a ILCA Master regatta this summer after 8 years out of the boat and thinking seriously about jumping back in the ILCA.
Aero is much lighter, advanced and easier to sail than ILCA, but the new ILCA MK II sail and improved rigging are a significant improvements.

I live nearby in WY and can guarantee if you want to race an Aero from CO you will be driving a loooonngg way to race against a handful of boats.

I raced Lasers extensively for 25 years then bailed and bought an Aero in 2015.
Raced the Aero in the USA and Europe for several years trying to build fleet growth in the USA west.
There only a few pockets of Aero fleets around the USA.
Gave up and sold Aero in 2018.
Raced a ILCA Master regatta this summer after 8 years out of the boat and thinking seriously about jumping back in the ILCA.
Aero is much lighter, advanced and easier to sail than ILCA, but the new ILCA MK II sail and improved rigging are a significant improvements.

I live nearby in WY and can guarantee if you want to race an Aero from CO you will be driving a loooonngg way to race against a handful of boats.
Thanks, DWD. Great info. I share similar sentiments. The Aero looks like a pretty cool boat but there are more ILCA's in our area of the country. We bought a Sunfish this summer so our grandkids can learn to sail (had an amazing end of season last weekend here in Denver) so I raced it some this summer but very little Sunfish participation here which led me to thinking about an ILCA which then led to looking into the Aero. So from a pure fleet perspective the ILCA is the logical choice. Still noodling things around in my head and appreciate your perspective. Sailed once at Glendo with typical Wyo winds. Now do more fly fishing in Wyo. One of my favorite states ! Cheers !

@jelfish I have a Laser at the Corinthian Sailing Club in Dallas where we have 5 Aeros. I'm also a member at the Viridian Sailing Center in Arlington, TX where we have 30 club owned Aeros. I can tell you that the Aero is an awesome boat. It's like they took all the things that Laser guys have complained about over the years and fixed them! I love to sail the Aero!

Like has been said in previous comments, the Aero class is trying to get a foothold in the USA; however, it's a long and hard journey. They aren't cheap, and the ILCA/Laser has an abundance of used boats out there. We have a pretty active group here in the Dallas area and a few rolling around in Austin and Louisiana. The Laser group dwarfs that from an active standpoint.

Thanks, Monkey-feet. Due to a schedule conflict I was not able to come down to the Wurstfest where I thought I could check out the Aero given the number of boats in the area. I have yet to see one in person as not any I can find in CO. The ILCA fleet here seems to be dwindling in participation and the few boats that hit the market are getting a little past their shelf-life. One guy bought a brand new ILCA then sold it and bought a new Melges 14. That is an interesting boat but the class association not nearly as organized as AERO ( albeit AERO Europe is very active ) and any regattas are few/far between. My thought with AERO is Dallas is a haul but have done it many times so not out of question to join the AERO festivities there on occasion. Also like the ease of launching AERO and the open transom concept. So I keep leaning toward AERO and if nothing else will have a cool boat to sail in CO. Thanks for your input. Cheers !

Thanks, Monkey-feet. Due to a schedule conflict I was not able to come down to the Wurstfest where I thought I could check out the Aero given the number of boats in the area. I have yet to see one in person as not any I can find in CO. The ILCA fleet here seems to be dwindling in participation and the few boats that hit the market are getting a little past their shelf-life. One guy bought a brand new ILCA then sold it and bought a new Melges 14. That is an interesting boat but the class association not nearly as organized as AERO ( albeit AERO Europe is very active ) and any regattas are few/far between. My thought with AERO is Dallas is a haul but have done it many times so not out of question to join the AERO festivities there on occasion. Also like the ease of launching AERO and the open transom concept. So I keep leaning toward AERO and if nothing else will have a cool boat to sail in CO. Thanks for your input. Cheers !
Feel free to come down anytime. You can be my guest at VSC. You may also want to check out our annual Firecracker Regatta. We open up the boats for charter. Many have used that as a testing ground to measure interest. www.viridiansailing.com

Back