Landing your laser in 4 foot surf, Dangerous?

elenaeus

I just got home from a beach trip with my Laser. I took it out on to the beach and launched it right through the surf(4' waves). Getting the boat through the brakers was a chore, but not too bad. I started bending spars when I brought the boat into shore. The wind was blowing into shore, so I pulled the center board and road the waves in. In the lighter winds I had very little problems, but when the wind was fast and fun I would turn the boat over once I got close to shore. The boom or mast would stick in the sand and a wave would hit the bottom of the boat, and BOOOM my spars bent. Any advice for riding the waves, and keeping the boat uprite? :(

You should always quarter off waves from astern and keep your weight in the middle off the boat in a position where you can make quick, and spar saving changes.

What do you mean by "quater off Waves"? I was just trying to ride them like a surf board, but last breaker would get me every time. My weight was a little far back on the boat.

You could try unknotting you mainsheet for the final approach so as you get to the beach you can let the rig flap infront of the boat.

beaching

i beach my laser in shallow water- you appeared to be in shallow water during your beach expierence. was undoing your mainsheet and jumping out a possibility?

good luck

By quartering off I mean do not let the waves hit you directly from astern. You should let the waves hit you from and angle iff the stern. From this angle the boat will be in a little bit more control and then as Will said, just let the rig out completely.

I thought of doing that but was worried about the tiller being ripped out from the force of the waves.
I can see that approaching the way I was could do this, but if approaching from more of an angle to the breakers will make the boat ride true then the rudder won't flip around and get hit at a strange angle, and cause it to rip out the ankors.

Landing in surf

I race off brighton beach an we frequently come in on the surf.

Never jump out of the boat! Sometimes you will get "washed out" but one should try to avoid it. - please read....

First rule is to aim to hit the beach at full speed. Trying to save the hulls bottom will result in a broken mast, boom and sail. In rough conditions the worst thing to do is stop and try to hold the boat in the shore break.

Second rule - (and more important than the first rule) In the horrible event this does happen stay on the offshore side of the boat. NEVER try, or let anyone else attempt to hold the boat from the inshore side of the boat as they WILL get injured as the Laser is thrown at them with 2 tonnes of water behind it.

Third - Try to ride a wave in surfer style but be aware the apparent wind will move forward as you pick up speed. If your entering on a close reach, this could be a problem so stay to reach on if possible. This allows you to pick up the daggerboard earlier.

Fourth - Don't forget to undo the rudder tie down or replace with a "breakout" cam cleat.

These are just some imediate ones that come into my head - I shall give it some thought and post more if you think I can add knowledge.

ED,
I think the main problem was my speed. I was not coming into shore fast. I was just trying to catch the waves and ride them in like a surf board. But as I stated before the end of the ride would become squirly, and the boet would flip. Please think about it. I would like to hear any and all thoughts on this, and tank you.

Back