Laser2 jib rigging

The Laser 2 forestay exists only to keep the mast up when the jib is down. When the jib is up, it's the luff wire/jib halyard that takes the rig tension against the shrouds, and the forestay goes slack. The jib isn't meant to be lowered on the water, and it doesn't even have any hanks or snaps to attach it to the forestay as they'd be useless.

My jib halyard is outside the mast and there does not seem to be a specific place to tie it on the mast. Where is the wire supposed to go?

If you have an external jib halyard, it cleats at a halyard lock that's located only a short distance below the halyard turning block.

If you have an external jib halyard, it cleats at a halyard lock that's located only a short distance below the halyard turning block.
I wish I can show you that I don't have a halyard turning block (if I knew what that is), but the picture I took with my iphone doesn't upload because it's to large and I don't know how to make it smaller. There's only black plastic "j" that's on the oppost tite side of the mailsail block at the bottom of the mast. But again, the loop in the wire is about 3 inches to short to cleat in. The 3 little balls at the top of the halyard are in the right place on the mast.

The turning block that I mentioned is the only one that the (external) jib halyard runs through - the one just below the forestay attachment. There should be a fitting just a bit further down the mast where the halyard wire cleats. The "3 little balls" you mention are just for that.

OK. So far so good...so the cord that I use to raise the jib just stays loose on the deck or in the cockpit?

...so the cord that I use to raise the jib just stays loose on the deck or in the cockpit?
Basically yes. It's better to coil it, though, so it doesn't get tangled with anything. I think there was originally a piece of elastic rope around the mast foot for storing the coil there. On the early boats, you could always throw the halyard tails into the spinnaker bag. The later boats with a spinnaker launcher (at least the European-built ones) had a small extra bag for this.

Basically yes. It's better to coil it, though, so it doesn't get tangled with anything. I think there was originally a piece of elastic rope around the mast foot for storing the coil there. On the early boats, you could always throw the halyard tails into the spinnaker bag. The later boats with a spinnaker launcher (at least the European-built ones) had a small extra bag for this.
So, considering that the jib halyard is outside the mast, and I have those 3 little balls are cleated in, as you can see I'm short a few inches for the wire loop to reach the black plastic cleat that I assume it should be on. What do I do with it as an extra security?

Attachments

• mastbottom.jpg
    mastbottom.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 35

Back